Malibu vs Camry - have Chevy dealers grown a pair?

My 92 Corolla Wagon with 205,000 miles looks and runs like it was brand new.

Show me a '92 Ford, Crapsler or Chevy that looks and runs like brand new.....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

There's fewer Chevy dealers every day and more Toyota dealers. That's because they sold the only bad one to Ed just to piss him off and charged him triple for maintenance and he paid it.

Reply to
Roadrunner NG

hmmm, did the starter myself $52 with core exchange, alterator $42 with core. it ain't rocket science and 3rd party parts on an out of warranty car aren't either. next time they quote you $500, i'll do it for half. and not snicker at you.

Reply to
someone

my 86 1/2 supra with 180k smoke a lot of the supposed hot cars out now and passes smog inspections with ease. the one fault is the door rattles whe you close it. so as soon as it annoys me, i will replace the dryed out channels and other rubber stuff. what killed me is i got it for $1500 bucks becuase the owner was real "slick". he was sure the drive line and rear end were going. so the correct size tires and a ujoint fixed the about to fail car. he offered to buy it back because he "felt bad" after i told him the real problems. "i may have been born yesterday, but it wasn't in poland and i studied all night?

-john waters

Reply to
someone

I actually fixed the starter myself for $0 because a local rebuilder gave me the part I needed. It was Toyota that wanted $500 - they only sold compete starters, no parts, and no one stocked a rebuild back then. Unfortunately nobody gave me a new A/C Condenser or Receiver Dryer, or fixed to crappola transmission for free, or repainted it when the OE paint job fell apart in less tan 3 years. You have to understand, this car wasn't just bad, it was by far the worst car I ever owned - including several British Sports Cars. Not only was it unreliable, it drove like a pick-up truck, was cramped on the inside while being relatively large on the outside, suffer efrom xcessive wind and road noise, didn't even get particularly good gas mileage, the paint literally disintegrated in less than 3 years, and the interior plastic turned milky and warped. I know that current Toyotas are much better (they could hardly be worse), but if it wasn't for my SO, I would not go within 10 miles of a Toyota dealer. However, she likes Toyotas, and since I respect her opinion, I at least considered a Tacoma when I bought my last truck. If the local Toyota dealers weren't such sleezeballs, I probably would have bought a Tacoma last year instead of the Frontier I now have.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Because I tend to keep cars for ten years?

Maybe Chevvies are just as reliable. It's going to take 5 years to persuade me of that.

At whatever price prevails, Impalas are going begging, the last time I checked. Inventories were twice those of the Camry.

Go complain to Mike. He brought them into the conversation.

In any event, they are different from autos because fuzzy measurements aren't involved. You can grade diamons fairly precisely and a diamond of a specific grade is equivalent to another diamond of a specific grade. They can be treated like commodity items in that regard. Mike's blather about the relationship between where you bought it and price was stupid in the context offered. Cars are not the same kind of commodity item. As you say, consumers are motivated by different things. Many are motivated by a loathing of all things foreign when it comes to cars, yet cheerfully buy alll kinds of Chines crap at Wal*Mart. Go figure.

Reply to
dh

What is your price of a new power steering pump to fit a 2002 Lexus LS? My dealer charges $1,500, three hours labor @ $110 and an 'environmental charge of $40

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I'm bet it did not really look and run that bad when it was new Scott, and I'll bet it is not as good as the 2007 Corolla on the market today, albeit it $6,000 more to buy today. ')

Keep running it, WBMA, In another 95,000 or so, if its still going, and your mileage might catch up to my '71 Pinto ;)

On of my grand children has a 2000 Mystique, that was once mine. I has around 230,000 on the clock. Looks runs great.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

How about a picture. Some people have a different idea what brand new means than I do.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Perhaps he purchased his brand new 92 Corolla in 1998? ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

i dunno. let me see what the pump csosts. that does sound retarded, though. called any local parts stores to get their prices?

Reply to
someone

I wonder if this is a direct result of the Fusion stealing sales from Toyota? What kind of Toyotas did they have?

Nearby:

Dealer chev/mazd 1 toyota, 11 fords, 75 chevrolets, 19 mazdas toyota 186 toyotas, 14 fords, 10 chevrolets chev 0 toyotas, 3 fords, 73 chevrolets ford 1 toyota, 142 fords, 7 chevrolets ford 0 toyotas, 64 Fords, 5 chevrolets

It's whats NOT proven that's i>> > One need not go to a chat room to find a lot of unhappy former Toyota

Pure crap.

Or, they're going with the Erma Bombeck principle... when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

It's not just turnover, it's margin, too. If they got those trucks cheap enough, they'll make money.

Reply to
dh