Matrix question

I am just on the edge of purchasing a new Matrix, the OD button on the side of the shift lever with the auto transmission, does this button put in OD and take it out of OD ???? and is the oil filter easy to get at to do my own oil changes.

Chet

Reply to
chet

The OD button on the side of the shift lever takes it out of OD. An "OD Off" indicator light will come on.

Sorry, don't have any experience with Matrix oil changes. Take a look under the hood and see if you think you can reach the filter.

Reply to
Ray O

The OD button, when pressed, prevents the tranmission from shifting into overdrive. And the oil filter is right next to the drain plug, a breeze to get off with a cup-style filter wrench.

Reply to
qslim

Dunno about the tranny, as I have a 5-speed, but the Matrix is one of the friendliest cars for home oil changes I've ever owned. The filter is mounted upside-down just in front of the oil pan. Get one of those cup-style wrenches that slides over the end and use an extension on your rachet to remove it. Once you loosten it, slide your oil drain container under it and give it a spin. About a pint of oil will come spilling down, but because it's so close to the location of the drain plug you can remove the filter while it's still draining out of the pan and not spill a drop in the driveway. Assuming, of course, you are using a decent sized catch pan.

The only way it could be better would be if it had the cool plastic drain cup and spout mounted on the crossmember like my Chevy Colorado does.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

If you want third gear, push the button once. Pushing the button again will let the car use 4th gear again. I use it all the time on my Corolla. A very useful feature IMHO.

Reply to
someone

Wish I had it on my LHS. Thing won't shift into 3rd until 45 MPH when in "3"!! And "D" means you're ALWAYS in OD once you hit 40-45 MPH. NO in-between!

Reply to
Hachiroku