MDF Speaker adapters for my tC

Same header in alt.binaries.images.fun, Pt 1 and Pt 2

When I got my tC, I liked a LOT of the things about it...except the stereo. The speakers sounded like they were made of Swiss Cheese. So, I found a pattern on the 'net, took some old shelving I had hanging around and made these MDF 'adapters' to install my beloved MB Quarts with.

It worked really well. But, early Quarts had a nsaty habit of coming unglued. Before I installed them, I had to reglue the edge of the cones back to the frames, and clamped them with clothespins. They looked like misguided Sunflowers.

Today I heard a thumping on the Passenger's side, and my worst fear was my trusty Quart had become unglued again. So I removed the panel and much to my surprise, the only problem was the "Titanium Dome Tweeter" had unmounted itself as was hitting against the cone. Some more high-strength contact cement and...ALMOST as good as new!

Since replacing the cheesy Chinese/Pioneer speaker, this thing has sounded GREAT, and even though I have a new head unit for the car, I am reluctant replacing it, since it sounds so good...

Reply to
Hachiroku

MB Quarts? What's MB stand for? And, why are you so excited about these pieces of shit if they keep coming unglued?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Good question.

You can have the best stero system in the world, but if your speakers sound like CRAP, then the stereo sounds like CRAP.

MB Quarts do not sound like crap, they sound most excellent. Therefore, I am willing to put up with an hour of regluing for the superior sound.

And since I only paid $25 for them, I'd say it's worth the effort.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't know how they sound. But, no matter how a speaker sounds, I get a little annoyed when it needs repair 6000 times more often than another product.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I only had to glue them once. And they have given me years of service. When I took them out of the previous car, I put them on a shelf for a year or so.

I noticed the glue was going bad, so I reglued them and installed them in the tC. That was in October, and I *CRANK* my stereo to the limits of good bass. I checked the regluing and it was holding up just fine.

And, as an aside, MB Quart got bought by Rockford Fosgate a year or two ago, and now are stamping them out by the millions somewhere in Asia. These are the Real Deal, made in Germany probably in the mid 90's. I got them second hand for about 1/5 of the original price, and have been using them for about 4 years...at max wattage (they take 100 watts RMS, and in my Supra I have them hooked up to a 100 Watt amp...not so in the Scion, much less wattage, so they are good to go!)

I like good clean sound, and do it on a budget. For

Reply to
Hachiroku

Is Phillips still making car speakers? They made some monsters back in the

1980s. Beautiful 6-1/2" rounds that my shop was installing in any car where they'd fit and the customer could spring for some extra wattage.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Gee, I have never seen Philips speakers! I like Philips stuff. I had a Philips turntable I paid $90 for in 1978 that had perforamnce specs on par with turntables costing $60-90 more.

I tell a fib...I have seen Philips HOME speakers.

Reply to
Hachiroku

They were sweet speakers. One of the few coaxials that didn't sound harsh at the time, like the 5-1/4" Jensens. We used to sell tons of them, along with

20 (real) watt per channel Proton amps that were skinny enough to tuck under back decks or under seats. Proton was made by NAD, who still makes some great home components.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Everyone wants everything cheap (um, me included). So I took some Jensen

5.25's out of a Honda we were sending to the wrecker's. They obviously weren't the ones you're talking about!

NAD made Proton? NAD makes great stuff.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well, obviously it depends on the situation. We found that most people who wanted or ended up with the Jensens did so because of budget constraints. Those same constraints also limited how much power they could afford for driving the speakers. Low power=weak bass. Less bass, and what's left is tinny sounding. Even so, our demo room allowed us to switch easily between different speakers, and the Jensens always sounded a bit harsh, even with plenty of power behind them. Not hideous, but not as good the the Phillips speakers. The worst 6-ish round we had was an Alpine, which was weird because their amps were so nice.

After installing a pair of the Phillips speakers in the back deck of my Tercel, and being amazed, I decided it was nuts to install 6x9 speakers in cars any more. We created a bracket out of nice solid birch plywood that would hold a round speaker in a 6x9 cutout. Sold tons of them. Occasionally, a customer would insist that a 6x9 had to be better because it looked bigger. We'd take them to the home stereo room, pop off speaker grills, and ask them to explain why no manufacturer used oval speakers. That usually settled the issue.

Proton also made a gorgeous TV monitor. Or, more likely, someone made it for them. Weird product line.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom