99 Corolla, timing belt or chain??

I purchased a used automatic 99 Corolla about three years ago with about 66,000 miles on it. My dad is very concerned that I get the timing belt changed, because we are not aware of whether this was done before I got the car. However, I have heard lately that my car may have a chain instead of a belt. I do not have a manual for the car and am having difficulty disovering what the actual case is: belt or chain. Could someone answer this question for me definitively? Also, if it has a chain, is there any maintenance associated with it that I should be aware of? Thanks!

Nessa

Reply to
Nessa

Your engine does have a chain, and there isn't any real maintenance to be done. Your can expect a service life well over 100k miles

Reply to
qslim