New Vehicle Oil Change?

Not unlike the idiocracy of asking random strangers to read you the contents of the owner's manual of the car you just bought, and then refusing to believe what the manufacturer wrote in the owner's manual.

Reply to
Ray Goldenberg

!CLIP!

No other reply besides a big thank you and kudos for an educated and mature response!

Reply to
Joe

Good question.

I have no formal education, but work full-time selling products to the production drilling / milling industry world-wide. Mostly for drilling, but I run across and learn about processes daily that some will never even imagine... Our products mount onto standard drill, mill, CNC and custom machining center units of al types. See my "alternate" sig below, especially the second link.

The main component of the 1000, 2000, and 5000 series units are centerless ground and hard chrome plated (not show chrome!) and have a tolerance that must be within 0.0005" of what I spec out when I order from my suppliers... About the same tolerances that a auto manufacturer would use on a cylinder wall.

The "Hard chrome plate" process is what made aluminum engine blocks possible years and years ago although some have gone to ceramics and other surfaces now.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. Automatic & Pneumatic Drills:

Spindle Drills:

In or near NJ and ride a Motorcycle:

Joe

Speaking of ramblings, please tell us what you meant when you used the word "idiocracy".

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You are confusing me asking for people's thoughts and opinions with someone who would ignore the advice of the manufacturer in favor of a stranger's ideas...

Reply to
Joe

It was a purposeful use of a word and its' presumed connotations with the intention of rambling along as a wordsmith myself.

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?

Joe

There are no presumed connotations. It means what it means, and it really doesn't fit.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In that case, my sincere apologies for calling myself a wordsmith.

Reply to
Joe

Well, that's what the Usenet has turned into. People start exactly such discussions here every day. "I'd rather take a random stranger's advice than even bother to know where my owner's manual is, let alone open it and read it."

Hang around long enough--you'll see.

Reply to
Ray Goldenberg

The stupidity goes beyond newsgroups. Our local Gannett news rag publishes a sub-rag for clueless young people who need a web link to find out how to pick their noses correctly. Last year, one of their kiddies wrote a column about "how fun it is" to go to NYC for concerts. She cautioned readers about leaving enough time to drive there because it could take as long as 5 hours. I've been driving back & forth to NYC since 1971, and there's absolutely no possible way to get from here to there in less than 7 hours, sometimes 8 depending on construction and other surprises. I emailed the author and told her she'd given lousy advice to her readers.

Her response: "Well, mapquest said 5 hours." She'd never driven to NYC herself.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The cross-hatch forms a series of square or diamond-shaped ridges, kind of like the pattern on a file. The left and right angles theoretically exert equal force on the rings, preventing movement, kind of like the bow of a boat pushing through the water.

Reply to
Ray O

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

Hang around here or hang around newsgroups? I've been in newsgroups since the early 1980's... I figure that might be long enough to have seen some of the trends. :)

Reply to
Joe

I'm going to go against better judgement and trash my assumption you're jim beam looking to pick a fight.

If you want the low-down on oil changes, read the thread Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

I suggested changing the oil after 1500 miles, like I have always done. Follow that thread and get an 'education'.

However, I would strongly advise against 12,000 mile oil changes no matter how many oil analyses you have done...

Reply to
Hachiroku

It's unfair to engage in a battle of wits with JSB...

He's only half-armed...

Reply to
Hachiroku

How about an '85 with 260,000 miles on it?

1500 miles for first change, 3,000 for 2nd change and 3,000 thereafter. I get high miles on all my cars and follow this schedule.
Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks. Not sure who (or maybe what) a jim bean is, but I'm not here to pick a fight.

My thoughts were 750 on first, 3000 thereafter... But again, wondered if there was logic in a 50, 100 or maybe 150-300 mile first change...

LOL. Agreed. Even with today's synthetics, that's just planned obsolescence at work on behalf of the manufacturers.

Reply to
Joe

That's a good example. Almost matches my '88 Camry with 260,000... Engine ran perfectly. It was the smashed door, bad battery, rust and overall abuse (it was my "truck" for a building project) that killed it.

Or... a 1989 Sentra I gave away at 210,000 that made it to 300,000+ before rust got to it. Tow hooks fell off and left nothing or the new owner (friend) to tie the bumper and rear fenders on with any longer. :)

Somewhat close to what I was thinking but a bit more aggressive on the first oil change here.

Reply to
Joe

No logic in 50, 100, 150, or 300, especially if you have a Toyota or equivalent oil filter.

Reply to
Mark A

Read the thread I pointed you to. For suggesting 1500 miles, I'm an idiot.

OK, but it works for me...

Reply to
Hachiroku