Oil Change Interval

Was the 5K interval "severe service" or "normal service?". After 2004 the normal is down to 5000 from 7500, according to the Toyota
spokesperson Billy Kwang (?).
On Dec 20, 7:47 am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Brian Gordon) wrote:

My SO has a 2007 RAV4. It has an oil change reminder (a nice feature), so the oil is getting changed at or shortly after the 5000 mile mark. After about 9 months and around 20K total miles on the car (5K on that oil), I took a sample and sent it off for analysis. The report said the oil was in good condition and was probably good for at least another 3K miles.
Unless you are doing something unusual (taxi service, package delivery, extensive idling), there is no reason to go to an oil change interval less than the recommended 5k miles.
Ed

May I be nosy and ask how much this analysis of five bucks' worth of motor oil cost? To me, it seems as futile as testing the tensile strength of toilet paper.

15 years ago when I last had oil tested, it cost about $50 Canadian. Back then, I had gotten into the habit of having both oil and tranny fluid tested every 3 years--worrying about major repairs sneaking up.

The test cost $22.50. I was curious. I have sent off a sample for many vehicles over the years to try and get an idea if there were possible engine problems brewing. In the case of the RAV4, given all the stories about sludge, I wanted to make sure that if the engine developed sludge, it wasn't my fault. It was nice to see that the oil was still in good condition after 5,000 miles, even though I was changing it. I'll probably send off another sample when the vehicle has been driven around 60,000 miles.
If you are only paying $5 for 5 quarts of oil, you must be getting the minimal quality stuff. The cheapest 5W20 oil I can find is nearly $2 a quart. Castrol GTX is $3 a quart and Mobil 1 is $5 a quart.
Ed