"Open Door" light comes on when it rains

I've noticed ever since I bought my Corolla new in 2003 that when I'm driving in wet or rainy conditions, the little red "open door" light starts glowing, very dimly at first, then brightens gradually, but never gets to even half as bright as it is when I actually open a door.

I've tried opening and closing all the doors to see if that'd make a dif, and it didn't.

Where could water be getting in to partially short this circuit? The light stays on even after I turn off the car and take out the key, which leads to dead battery concerns... not from that one tiny light, but maybe water could be partially closing other circuits as well or corroding something it's never supposed to come in contact with...

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Water is collecting somewhere, somehow and grounding the system. Either something near the switch is getting wet and causing it to ground, or, worse, it is puddling somewhere. Look for leaves, foam, etc that could hold water near the switches. Remember, the switches on a Toyota are switching to GROUND, NOT switching

+12V

Reply to
Hachiroku

More likely it is grounding a door post switch that indicates open door

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I had a similar problem but not with an automobile. Bad solenoid. Whole circuit board had to be replaced.

Reply to
mark_digital

Someone I know had a similar problem. It apparently stemmed from the aftermarket alarm that it had. The aftermarket one was faulty enough that it was "bleeding" electricity into the door sensor causing the door open light to glow slightly. We removed it and that fixed the problem.

Reply to
Viperkiller

As Viperkiller suggested, check any aftermarket accessories and equipment very carefully, particularly alarms and remote starters.

Another possibility is that the rubber boot on one of the door light switches is torn or not positioned properly, letting water into the switch or connections.

Reply to
Ray O