(OT:) BBC retracts article saying earth is cooling

You've been listening to Glenn Beck again, haven't you?

We've warned you about this in the past. Exposing non-believers to the truth causes them to become hostile...

Reply to
Hachiroku

But what's really funny, Bill is when you came in here you thought I was one of AlGore's minions! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

And this appears to be the problem with current computer models that tell us the Earth will burn up in about, oh, 5 minutes from now...

Reply to
Hachiroku

At best, sloppy methods, otherwise known as very poor science - but nonetheless "science" upon which policy was being determined (probably still is). This gets back to the gage R&R thing I was talking about. Whether intentional or not, the data sampling was not controlled by time or location (i.e., higher and lower elevations) and the effect was that older data was biased towards implications of colder temperatures than it really was, and later data was relatively biased towards warmer that it really was.

A quick search turned up these two pages:

I doubt you will find a true "scientific" source to discuss the political fallout over dismissing the whistle-blower from his title as "associate state climatologist", so no doubt whatever "news" source is cited, someone will claim it is biased or whatever. Here's one just grabbed at random and copied/pasted here from a quick search:

Bottom line: A guy blows the whistle on unscientific methods (used for policymaking) being passed off as science - and he is duly rewarded.

I do know that the clearly leftist sites, blogs, etc. will immediately denigrate Albright by saying he was a TV weatherman, and you get the impression they actually believe it - that it isn't meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment - and that is blatant dishonesty on someone's part to try to cover up the stupidity and hypocracy surrounding this whole affair.

Bill Putney

They actually don't predict that, unless they had major bugs in their design. The company I work for started developing hardwired specialty computers in the mid-80s, and to test them we'd give out computer time to almost any post-grad in engineering or science who asked for it, and some of them did atmospheric research (weather or pollution). Our people worked closely with them because we were trying to optimize the hardware, and whenever a model made a wild prediction, it was found to have been programmed wrong or was overly simple in its assumptions.

Reply to
rantonrave

(well, of course, I realize that, but the REAL Panic Button Pushers say It's TOO LATE!!!!

Reply to
hachiroku

Not even the chief climatologist for NASA has said that, and he believes we have only about 10 years to start taking action before global warming becomes far more severe and difficult to reverse.

You need to show some more realistic examples that aren't dominated by politicians (who, whether on the left or right, don't want anything done that requires true sacrifice) or lunatics (mostly more politicians).

Reply to
rantonrave

Ummm - that's already happening on its own. It's called solar activity which you want to totally ignore. Google "aqua satallite".

Bill Putney

This is what I hear on the BBC. It's too late! We're gonna fry!!!!!

Reply to
hachiroku