(OT:) DON'T EAT THAT PINEAPPLE!!!!

Do you have ANY idea how much that pineapple is damaging the Earth?!?!?!

First, there was the petroleum by-products used to make the fertilizer, then the machinery to cultivate the trees, then the processing, and packaging, and then the jet fuel to fly the pineapple to you.

Yes, indeed the latest in k00k NooZ from the BBC. Be careful what you eat, it may be killing the planet.

They had a whole segment on local/imported fruits and veggies, the "carbon footprint" of the food you eat, and the generalization that "...it takes

10 calories of energy to produce one calorie of food..."

Yup, the paranoids even want to control your taste buds...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Can you tell us how you know that the BBC is incorrect?

Does it use petroleum by-products to make teh fertilizer? However energy to cultivate the trees? And how much energy does it take to fly the pineapple here?

How many calories does it take to get a 100-calorie bell pepper to your mouth? In the old days, when we farmed by hand, it was less than

100-calories, or we not have survived. But what about now?

No one wants to control your taste buds. I don't eat shrimp, because the way the shrimp are removed from the ocean destroys other animals in the ocean. The activities that we do have consequences for our planet. It's fact of life.

To dismiss the effects we have without understanding them is stupid.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I predict that within a month, when Hach thinks we've forgotten this discussion, he'll say he just did some computer service at the office of 3 botanists who said that growing pineapples actually has a negative carbon footprint.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I think a botanist describing a pineapple bromeliad as a tree would be a rare find, if anybody can find it, it would be Hachi. (;->

Reply to
tak

I didn't say they were incorrect. I was implying the people they were talking to are l00ney...

Read below. The estimate given was 10 calories of energy for every calorie of food.

So, I guess we just stop eating? Tuna often kills dolphins, growing food takes energy and sometimes destroys the soil, it has been said that growing X mewans you can't grow Y; the government pays farmers subsidies not to grow corn, and now because of Biofuels there is a corn and wheat shortage and prices are going up.

Everything is a trade off. If I want a pineapple, I'm having a pineapple. Another concern in Europe is flowers grown in Africa. They are flown in to Europe every day, and the Eco-nutz are lamenting the use of fuel to fly the flowers. But, like I said in the summer when the same k00ks were avoiding vacations, the planes are going to fly anyway. There is other freight or passengers on the same planes, and they will fly regardless. And, how much energy does it take to grow the flowers in Europe in the winter?

Don't buy fruit, don't buy flowers, don't buy summer produce in the winter.

Just eat lentils, like Neil...

Hachiroku

You never know. I service three universities, the biggest being UMASS, where a LOT of research is done. Now that all our kids have swallowed the Politician's BS about "Climate Change", it wouldn't surprise me if someone may just be working on suach a thing.

There's a LOT of k00ks around here...

Reply to
Hachiroku

BWAHAHAHA! My biggest source of this crap is the BBC.

Sometimes it's funny...

Sometimes (mostly) it's just bullshit...

Reply to
Hachiroku

When you react to things like this by saying "they want to control you", you reveal that it's a penis issue for you.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Eat foods that are grown locally, like by the local farmer or your garden.

I haven't seen tunas with guns lately.

Wanting to protect your environment does not make one a kook.

The number of flights can be cut back if their is not enough freight. Plus the flowers require refrigeration which is not free and the ground in Africa can be used to grow other stuff.

Not much. Plus they give off oxygen. You can grow them in your own house.

The fact is that our choices affect the environment.

You should learn about them and make intelligent choices.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

There's a deeper meaning to the BBC story you're bitching about. Any such information is worth reading if it leads people to at least think about the things they consume, and how they go about getting them. For example, let's say those stupid "lunchable" things (Oscar Meyer?) contained the healthiest food in the universe. Of course not. The product still represents a disgusting waste of plastic, and it doesn't matter that it might've been made from recycled materials, or that you might recycle the plastic when you're done with it. Solution: Don't buy stuff like that.

Another example: In the supermarket produce department, I see people putting one green pepper into a plastic bag. Why? To keep it clean? You're still supposed to wash it before you use it. Or, putting a bunch of bananas in a plastic bag. A friend of mine does that so she has a place to stick the label after she uses the weigh-it-yourself scale. Why? Stick the label on the bananas. You're gonna peel them anyway.

It probably doesn't matter in the long run, though. We're already a mess:

JoeSpareBedroom

Even a stupid dog won't shit where he eats, ya know? But Hach will. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why not they want to control what we expell when we breath? LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

Huh?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Remember the links I posted a few weeks ago? Not much grows in the snow!

You haven't been paying attention. Did you see the shark at the aquarium that was dragging another shark around in it's mouth.

Ya gotta watch them tunas...they're deadly...

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a massacre aboard one of those Japanese wahiling ships, myself...

Beware what you eat...it may eat YOU someday...

Reply to
Hachiroku

If I saw even one iota of proof that man has that drastic an effect on the climate, I might change my mind. Aside from a few diehard k00k scientists, and a handful of politicians, there is a LOT more evidence it's a natural cycle.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah, I can agree with this. A plastic bag for bananas? Don't make sense to me. Nature packaged them perfectly already.

Peppers...who the HELL buys ONE pepper?!?! (HINT: I get red peppers, I roast them, drown them in olive oil and add some garlic powder. NO SUCH THING as *ONE* pepper! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Not related to global warming, but in the U.S., guess who adds more strange chemicals to the ground, and often the water supply than any other source.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

One of those politicians is G.W. Bush.

You're welcome to think what you want, but there were thousands of scientists who helped the Intergovernmental Panel and Climate Change, so it is not a few diehard scientists. I don't know why they would be kooks, because having different conclusions than others does not make one a kook. Anyway, there are very few scientists who don't believe that climate change that is being driven, in part, by humans taking place.

Reply to
Jeff

Another way to look at it is to ask whether our activities have ZERO effect on anything. Since that is impossible, it's a question that's very effective at flushing out the real kooks.

For Hach's benefit, I'll add that in the two sentences I just wrote, above, I made no claim as to how much of an effect our activities have.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom