OT: Cathy - remedial reading help needed for Shmuckland

Thank you for explaining to Joe that he implied Iran has no missles. That is the same exact thing everyone else has been trying to get across to him. If you had read the numerous posts he has tried to wriggle out of it with you would have been disgusted long ago.

Reply to
badgolferman

"Implied" does not fit "assertion". Sorry, Cathy and golf boy. I made no assertion.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Main Entry: as·sert Pronunciation: \?-'s?rt, a-\ Function: transitive verb Etymology: Latin assertus, past participle of asserere, from ad- + serere to join - more at series Date: circa 1604 1: to state or declare positively and often forcefully or aggressively ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Furthermore, an assertion does not end with a question mark, because an assertion is not a question.

There was no assertion. But, because are required to disagree.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You beg Cathy for clarification and then dismiss her when she doesn't agree with you. I see you really don't have any respect for her teaching credentials after all. I told you to stop digging long ago yet your shovel has gone into hyperspeed. You have just burned another bridge.

Reply to
badgolferman

"He spent the afternoon refinishing some old chairs."

If one of your students argued for 3 days straight that "chairs" was a verb in that sentence, you wouldn't give up either, would you?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Go get your dictionary, look up "assert", and type the definition in your next response.

If I'd made an assertion, it would've read "Iran does not actually have missiles."

1: to state or declare positively and often forcefully or aggressively

Tell us what YOUR dictionary says, assuming you actually own one.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Getting right on it Professor K.

Reply to
badgolferman

I doubt that very much.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sigh... I didn't say you did. I said there was no out & out assertion, but there was an inference.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

What benefit did we realize in WWII with Gen. Patton's First US Army Group?

What benefit did the USSR realize in the 1950s when it kept circling ten Bear strategic bombers in front of the TV camera during a May Day parade?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Even an inference wouldn't have made sense. The only information I have about this recent missile thing came from the same news sources we've all seen since the launch, plus I've committed the ultimate sin: I remember things I read in the past about similar situations.

I don't have enough information to assert anything on the subject.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I stroke it to the east And I stroke it to the west I be strokin'

-Clarence Carter

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No, the Joe Wilson whose then-undercover (without the usual diplomatic passport) spy wife was outed by Karl Rove & co. and caused our only human intelligence channel for Iranian WMDs to be shut down.

If you can't get even the very basic facts, like these, right, there's no way you can reach valid conclusions. Joe Wilson was not a publicity hound. He simply heard GW Bush tell a falsehood during the State of the Union address that was way too important to be left unchallenged.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

That was only before the Gulf War. The settlement terms of that war required Saddam to get rid of his WMDs, and he obviously did, as the $600M spent by the Iraq Survey Group showed when it turned up nothing. Also there's no evidence that Saddam had moved his WMDs into Syria before the 2003 war began, but if he had, why haven't any of the insurgents or terrorists smuggled them back into Iraq (lots of fighters have crossed the Syria-Iraq border) and used them against the US or others?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

You need to get your time line right. Those attacks happened In 1988, before the Gulf War, which led to the destruction of such weapons.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

There is no allowance for editorializing with the definition of "assert" or "assertion". You wish there was, but there isn't.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yeah. Troops which should not be used to fight for a country that's no more an ally than Italy or New Zealand.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Bullshit.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Cite. I can't find anything about Saddam gassing or germing Kurds post-1991, probably because the British and US were always patrolling the no-fly zones that included all of the Kurdish area.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Reply to
Cathy F.

I know exactly what I mean. You implied Iran doesn't have missles. OK, Bright Boy, tell me what satellites tracked from Iran then. The BBC says Iran does have those missles. Tell us, *PLEASE* what inside information you have that the rest of the world doesn't.

And don't come back with a bunch of your usual mealy-mouthed rhetoric, or I'll plonk you on this machine, too.

Reply to
$)CHachiroku +O+A+m+/