OT Father Daughter talk

Father-Daughter Talk

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and among other liberal ideals, was very much in favor of higher taxes to support more government programs, in other words redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the need for more government programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is! your friend Audrey doing?"

She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That's a crazy idea, how would that be fair! I've worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the Republican party."

Reply to
dbu.,

As long as it's something that doesn't hit home, the Dims are only too glad to give someone else's money away. They're willing to raise taxes on everyone but themselves. There are enough loopholes in the current tax code to cover most of the Millionaires Club in the Senate.

Tax and Spend, Tax and Spend Watch out, folks, they're at it again. Seeking to undo 25 years of prosperity That even trickled down to folks like you and me. They hate Ronald Reagan because he was right. The Soviet Union fell without a fight. They hate George Bush because he's got guts. Be careful, folks, these people are nuts.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Luckily, this war is free, ya know?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yeah, why pay the bills with your own money when you can just print more?

Print and Spend, Print and Spend!

Reply to
Fishface

Or better yet, give it to thieves who are supposedly providing services in Iraq, but who are wasting it, losing it, or otherwise mismanaging it. Then, pretend everything's going just fine.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Day in the Life of Joe Middle-Class Republican By John Gray Cincinnati, Ohio - snipped-for-privacy@cinci.rr.com - July - 2004

Joe gets up at 6:00am to prepare his morning coffee. He fills his pot full of good clean drinking water because some liberal fought for minimum water quality standards. He takes his daily medication with his first swallow of coffee. His medications are safe to take because some liberal fought to insure their safety and work as advertised.

All but $10.00 of his medications are paid for by his employers medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance, now Joe gets it too. He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs this day. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because some liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.

Joe takes his morning shower reaching for his shampoo; His bottle is properly labeled with every ingredient and the amount of its contents because some liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained. Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some tree hugging liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He walks to the subway station for his government subsidized ride to work; it saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees. You see, some liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.

Joe begins his work day; he has a good job with excellent pay, medicals benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe's employer pays these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call the union. If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed he'll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some liberal didn't think he should loose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

Its noon time, Joe needs to make a Bank Deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe's deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some liberal wanted to protect Joe's money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the depression.

Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae underwritten Mortgage and his below market federal student loan because some stupid liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his life-time.

Joe is home from work, he plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive to dads; his car is among the safest in the world because some liberal fought for car safety standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. He was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans. The house didn't have electric until some big government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification. (Those rural Republican's would still be sitting in the dark)

He is happy to see his dad who is now retired. His dad lives on Social Security and his union pension because some liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to. After his visit with dad he gets back in his car for the ride home. He turns on a radio talk show, the host's keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. (He doesn't tell Joe that his beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day) Joe agrees, "We don't need those big government liberals ruining our lives; after all, I'm a self made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have".

Reply to
Truckdude

Who developed the meds? Some Republican-owned drug companies.

If these liberals are so damn good, why didn't they fight so that everyone has medical insurance? There are more people uninsured than ever.

And some Republican-owned company makes the shampoo. If it were not the money that was pured into R&D, the only thing he would have to wash his hair with is real poo.

Actually, at least today, it is the Republicans who are fighting to increase the service on the NYC subway. And the subway was originally built in NYC by Republicans who invested all the money in digging up the streets, rerouting all sewer and water pipes and putting in the tracks and tunnels.

Actually, in NYC, it was the Republicans.

Actually, Ford started a lot of these standards to keep valued employees.

The FSLIC insurance Savings and Loans, not banks. The banks were ruined because they let everyone borrow funds to buy stocks. Why weren't the liberals watching out for people's money before the banks went out?

Fannie Mae is an independent company, owned mostly by Republicans.

No one is a self-made man. We all depend on each other.

This talk of liberals are (bad | good) and conservatives are (good | bad) is all garbage.

Conservatives have some valid points as do liberals.

As the unions show, it takes everyone working together: the people who own the company, the people who work for the company and the government.

Neither liberals nor conservatives are not better than the other. We are all here on Earth for a while trying out best to make our way. Both liberals and conservatives have valid points.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Get real. If we don't win the war against the radical Islamic terrorists that want kill us what difference will anything else make?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Dear Fishface,

If we'd control some government expenditures, we wouldn't have to raise taxes. Look at how much the Reagan and Bush tax cuts RAISED revenue. The only reason the deficit went up is for every dollar in new revenue, someone spent more than a buck.

You must obviously be a Democrat.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Most of that is results of the 1906 Pure Food and Drug Act, signed by Theodore Roosevelt. A Republican.

I don't have a 10. copay. I wish I did. I have to pay for my medication up front, then I get a check for 80% of what I pay.

He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and

Again, Theodore Roosevelt, a Republican signed the 1906 Pure Food and Drug Act.

That's a crock. In Chicago "Public Transportation" existed LONG before the CTA and was mostly privately owned prior to 1947.

That was another Roosevelt who was trying to restore confidince in a Banking System that had gone nuts.

You mean Ralph Nader, the guy who complained about the Corvair and not his own VW that had EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM?

He arrives at his boyhood home. He was the third generation to

My grandpaw built his OWN home on land he inherited from his father-in-law. He owed Nothing. And since he'd made so much overtime during the war and had nothing to spend it on, the War pretty much paid for his house that he built in 1947 and electrified in 1948.

I once lived in a town that had such a bad filtration system for their water that there were times we'd have to go out to my grandad's well in the country to get water that was decent to drink and use for coffee. The local DemoCrap politicians turned a blind eye when we complained, and when one lady lost her baby, supposedly because of the city water, the City quickly hushed it up.

So don't give me that Republicans hate progress crap. So do you DimoCraps, except when it suits your purposes.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

The Reagan supply side tax cuts were supposed to cut deficits, regardless of the spending, but when they didn't the supply siders rationalized that the cuts hadn't been implemented early enough (30% in one year rather than 25% over three years), not that Congress had raised spending. OTOH the economic models used by the administration predicted higher deficits -- based on the administration's own budgets, not the higher budget that Congress later approved. Reagan's first Budget Director, David Stockman, admitted to the deficit problem in a rather famous article published by the Atlantic Monthly. The economists who predicted budget surpluses with economic growth were as wrong as the doomsayers who predicted deficits with a recession. A couple of economists who got it right were Charles Schultz and Alice Rivlin.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

But not your kind of Republican. He was progressive and basically undid the damage of the Gilded Age.

Practically a Communist in the eyes of some of today's Republicans.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly