OT History in question

It appears we've had to deal with terrorism even in America's infancy. Can someone briefly explain what 100's of America's sailors were doing in the Middle East when they became captive during Thomas Jefferson's presidency? We weren't looking for oil were we?

Reply to
mark digital©

Opium?

This it?

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

We know who CAN'T explain it, now don't we?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Please excuse the source, But I have some other things to attend to now that the race is over. The url piece is accurate enough, I didn't check the cross references. But if memory serves, the U.S. was dealing with these guys into the early twentieth century.

Reply to
tak

Sorry about that, doesn't pay to hurry, here it is:

tak

Yep, tallies with the (long) article - well, the link for which - I posted. But this explains something I'd wondered about before: "The Barbary Coast, or Barbary... The name is derived from the Berber people of north Africa."

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

The difference, of course, is that Jefferson responded to hostilities against the United States and attacked the actual parties responsible.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

Reply to
mark digital©

I don't think you meant this to be funny, but... splork! ;-P

IED = improvised explosive device, IIRC. An IUD is an intrauterine device - a method of birth control!

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I'm not questioning that. Rather, I'm wondering why we haven't attacked al Qaeda where they have the largest numbers of people, or financial supporters (and that means two different places, not Iraq).

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You're making me wistful... truly. If only...

This imagery just cracks me up. If only terrorists could be convinced to use IUDs instead of IEDs... ping, ping, ping!

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Ahem. "We"? How many days have YOU spent in uniform since March '03?

Thought so, lardass.

No, I want our focus to be apprehending Osama bin Laden and his enablers. Bin Laden - remember him?

Who is "them"? Everybody with a Koran? You'd have had to have killed Thomas Jefferson himself in that case.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

Yeah, I did...I know it's IED. Just thought I'd have a little fun...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Because Iraq was the "Politically Correct" choice. Where else would we go after them? Saudi Arabia? And piss the government there off? They are just barely an ally as it is. That would have really brought the rath of the world down upon us. Jordan? The people don't like us, but the King went to Deerfield Academy and his wife is American. The people like him, so they put up with us while he is in power. No, not a good idea there. Syria? Why? What have they done? Again, the rath of the world would have been upon us. Iran? Same deal, but there the people like us but the government doesn't. Not a good choice there, either.

Iraq. A dictatorial leader who uses factions other then his own for Terminal 'experiments'. Possibly working on missle systems or nukes. Hated by his people, hated by the world. Known to look the other way when the Radicals need a place to call home.

Do you guys see the logic yet? It's there if you know something of the Middle East...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Look at your paragraph above, beginning with "Iraq. A dictatorial....."

What's missing from your description of the country?

Another question: Why have you not mentioned the places where we've KNOWN AQ to be operating? I won't tell you where. Maybe you'll go to the library, get some books, and one day, you'll sound like a person who's fulfilled his obligation as an American by being a well informed citizen.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Methinks you had a brain fart (get used to being 50!), couldn't come up w/"IED" off the top of your head (it was stuck in thge back of your head - until you didn't really need it to be at the tip of your tongue of course - get used to being 50!), & so typed "IUD, or whatever the hell they are" to save time from Googling!

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

That certainly would solve the problem.

You do have a Koran....right?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

You think this is a joke. If you've reproduced, remember that your grandchildren will hear your senile bullshit, and accept it as fact, unless your son or daughter do the right thing first, and keep their kids from being exposed to you.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What happened to your wife?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

That information is supplied strictly on a need to know basis. You don't.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom