(OT) House Approves Wiretap Bill

WASHINGTON (AP) - The House handed President Bush a victory Saturday, voting to expand the government's abilities to eavesdrop without warrants on foreign suspects whose communications pass through the United States. The 227-183 vote, which followed the Senate's approval Friday, sends the bill to Bush for his signature. He had urged Congress to approve it, saying Saturday, ``Protecting America is our most solemn obligation.''

Gentleman Jim

Didn't we just have a discussion with some feeling that Iraq's parliament's going on vacation was wrong while it was at war?

What about the Congress's action of passing the bill, partly because it was time from recess?

From the above citied article:

"Many congressional Democrats wanted tighter restrictions on government surveillance, but yielded in the face of Bush's veto threats and the impending August recess."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yeah, we had that discussion. Some in the discussion thought conditions in Baghdad were comparable to conditions in Washington. Those "someones" were stupid, so they contributed nothing to the discussion, other than to embarrass themselves.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

which is funny because the dems spent the last bit bitching about it...

what took them so long was they needed to use it for politics

Reply to
Go Mavs

Even the Democrats know we are at war with terrorists in all facets of international boundaries. The evidence has become so clear to them that even the halfway sane ones have seen the merits of allowing information gathering through electronic means.

It does bring up an interesting thought though. Did Nancy Pelosi talk them into voting for it or does she really not have the power she thinks she has?

Reply to
badgolferman

An excellent vote. Why SHOULD foreign suspects be accorded ANY rights? Not on MY watch.

Reply to
sharx35

She's getting weaker by the day.

Reply to