OT I'll never understand our legal system

I see that Pfc. Jesse Spielman has been convicted in the rape and murder of the teenager Iraqi and her family. He was sentenced to 110 years in prison. He was also named eligible for parole in 10 years. I guess it's me, but that sounds like a sentence of being keelhauled ....or alternatively being made to eat a sour candy.

Don't most prisoners have to serve at least a majority of their sentence before being considered for parole? Enquiring minds want to know......

Reply to
mack

This is the miliary justice system and not the civilian justice system. And eligible for parole in 10 years may not mean he will be out of jail in ten years.

He was found guilt of rape, conspiracy to commit rape, housebreaking with intent to rape and four counts of felony murder and pleaded guilty to obstructing justice, arson, wrongfully touching a corpse and drinking (drinking is not allowed by the military in Iraq). He didn't rape or murder, but went as a lookout for those who were doing the acts.

His actions lead to the death of 4 people, including two kids. Although he didn't rape or kill anyone, he knew full well why they were going to the house and could have prevented four murders.

I will let you decide whether or not he got what he deserved.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

But did he have the opportunity to blow the whistle on the venture before it started? If he only found out the plan on the way, he couldn't have done much (or anything) to stop it.

I realize that he likely will not be granted parole in 10 years....prisoners seldom get parole the first time their name comes up for the opportunity, but 10 years is not even 10% of 110 years.

Reply to
mack

I know what you. Radios and cell phones don't work in Iraq. There is no way he could have contacted his commanders and told them. Nor could say, "Hey guys, what we're going to do is wrong. Murder is wrong. I am not going to have anything to do with it."

Or, in the words of Jesse Spielman, "I don't really blame my chain of command. I don't really blame anybody. I could have stopped it. I take responsibility for my actions."

This is the military justice system. I don't know enough about it to have a good guess on when he will be let free.

But considering the way they are coming down on these murderers, I would think it is a fair bet that you're right, he won't be free when he comes up for parole the first time. May guess would be 30 or 40 years from now.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Would you blow the whistle on a bunch of guys carrying rifles?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yeah, when they are going to kill people without a trial and two of those are girls, at least one of whom they are going to rape.

Besides, he said he could have stopped the thing, but didn't.

If I am not mistaken, one reason why the US is in Iraq is supposed to be protect the citizens, as an occupying force, not kill them.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yeah, and then, there's reality.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Do you think this is the norm in our military?

Reply to
witfal

Of course not. But, the reality of the war is that the purpose is cloaked. Not even the soldiers know why they're there, although some of the theories are entertaining to hear.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, mack sprach forth the following:

Not if they know Bill Clinton.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

It should be.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The purposes of the war in Iraq are to fight terrorism, bring down Hassan, and help the Iraqi people.

At any rate, raping and murdering of civilians is not part one of the reason, or, IMHO, acceptable.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

What should be? You responded to a vague set of words.

What should be the norm?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yes. Fight terrorism where there was none before.

As I taught you earlier, the real purpose is cloaked.

We publicly condemn Iran for being "interested" in Iraq, and yet we are doing everything in our power to help Iran. Do you understand how we are doing this?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In your opinion.

But, I never said I agreed with the reasons.

No, as you said, earlier. That doesn't mean that I agree with you or that you are capable of teaching anything.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

In everyone's opinion. I'm not saying Iraq was Disneyland before we got there, but this free-for-all certainly did not exist. If you disagree, show me information to prove otherwise. Saddam's brand of brutality made our presence look like a kid's birthday party.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I am not saying that I agree or disagree. Only that it was your opinion.

Reply to
Jeff

Nonsense. To say "in your opinion" usually means you disagree. Don't be a little flower. Be a man and stand up for what you think.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I think I wanted to clarify that that is your opinion.

That is what I think.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The sentence was a plea agreement and probablly because the lack of evidence...

"Military prosecutors did not say Spielman took part in the rape or murders but alleged that he went to the house knowing what the others intended to do and served as a lookout."

Go Mavs