OT Man fired stealing chocolate from employer

Man fired for taking candy from trash for his kids

Canadian Press Dec. 20, 2005 10:21 AM

ST-HYACINTHE, Que. - A single father of three fired for taking chocolate bars from a garbage bin at a Zellers store will get some Christmas cheer from a charitable organization.

Guy Masse, 47, had planned to give the discarded chocolate to his children, ages six, nine and 15, for Christmas.

Masse, who was on welfare and had been working at the store only for a couple of months, was first suspended and then fired. advertisement

"I think it's inhuman," Masse told CJAD radio station in Montreal of his dismissal.

Zellers has said Masse should have notified his superviser that he was taking the chocolate out of the garbage at the St-Hyacinthe store, about

50 kilometres east of Montreal.
Reply to
Hachiroku

Since this father of three did his employer no harm, the action by Zellers seems arbitrary.

Zellers had already decided that it could not sell the stale product and so put it in the trash.

It is not good to waste things, and it is better to recycle.

It is probable that Zellers paid Mr. Masse minimum wage. No agency protects him from arbitrary actions by a supervisor. He took the wasted chocolates to give to his children for Christmas. One might take the view that Zellers found it is easy to beat up on someone who is powerless.

It will be a bleak Christmas for Guy Masse's six-year-old child, his nine-year-old and maybe the 15-year-old as well. Welfare is mostly given over to the landlord, with a bit left for the grocery store. It will be very hard to find another job following a firing by the previous employer.

Perhaps this chain-store might reverse this inappropriate action if people didn't shop there until they re-hire Mr. Masse. What's your opinion? Perhaps a phone call (or letter) to head office?

My thanks to group members for your wise automotive help, and best wishes for the holidays.

- Jack

Reply to
Ralph

So now stealing is no harm? Neat!

Not if their policy is to fire thieves. Who knows what else he stole before he got caught?

It's Zellers trash. All the dude had to do is ask.

Probable? So you don't really know.

Sort of like "right to work" here. In other words, they could fire him for any reason, they just chose the theft.

He _TOOK_. That's the point.

who is powerless.

One might take the view that they evenly enforced their work rules.

He should have thought about that before he tried to walk out without asking, eh?

You're supposing, right? How do you know how much he pays in rent? Maybe he spends the money on crack.

You mean hard to find a job after stealing, no?

I think they should have filed charges.

Complementing them on doing the right thing? Sure!

Do you steal stuff too?

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Well put - and backatcha!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

So you think stealing is cool too? No shock there.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

What did he steal? Garbage?

Reply to
Vash The Stampede

Yes - he stole garbage! He should be shot!

I wish Burnore could just move on, but he can't resist reading my posts.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

It doesn't really matter. He stole. He got caught. He got fired. My bet is that the theft of candy wasn't his first or only offense. Most likely just the last.

Supposedly.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

No, not shot. Fired? Yes. Shrinkage costs everyone in higher prices.

Poor little bitch. Too bad you can't ignore _ME_. :)

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Poor or not, THAT little bitch will get laid this Christmas season. You won't, unless you pay for it.

Reply to
Sharx35

Unfortunatley, while it is trash, it is either Zellers trash, or the cities trash, not his trash.

He stole. Crap rules I know, but rules is rules. I know when I worked for Safeway, similar rules were in place for "stale" cakes and bread. It would be recorded then trashed and claimed back as spoilage against insurance.

To get fired he most likley got caught more than once. I don't think any supervisor or manager is that evil these days to do anyone based on a 1 offence.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Claimed back against insurance? They were pulling your leg. I guarantee you that Safeway was self insured for millions of bucks. Big companies don't buy thousand dollar deductible policies.

Many stores give day old bread to soup kitchens. Same with restaurants.

Reply to
Art

Not THAt kind of insurance. The bread co's give a sort of insurance on what's not sold. Paying the store some for the trouble. Store has to certify the stuff wasn't sold/given away.

Where, exactly, did he say anything about deductables?

That, of course, depends on the contract with the supplier.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Are you sure you know all the facts he may have damaged the goods in the first place just so they would be trashed and being as this sounds like a store trashing story they wouldn't mention any suspicion of that. also who do you think would have ended up paying out if this guy's kids got sick from eating those chocolates.

Reply to
Dwayne

Shrinkage? it was in the DUMPSTER! It was already a write-off! So, the Rats didn't get it!

Reply to
Hachiroku

That's taking it a little far. Chocolate doesn't really go bad. It does get stale.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Jack, I think that this situation is a supervisor's nightmare. There's also little doubt that the candy manufacturer doesn't want any of it's product which becomes stale or damaged to be distributed to the public so I'm sure that the candy manufacturer has a very strict agreement with the vendor to trash any of it's product which is less than pristine.

So it's really not the vendor's fault for enforcing the rule. Can you imagine the problem if someone ate a stale choc. bar, became sick and died?, If it were proven that the bar had been very stale then the lawsuit could be huge. The manufacturer (and possibly the vendor too) wouldn't have a leg to stand on would he?.

So it's perhaps not the 'big bad Zellers' after all is it?.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Moreover, were it "ok" to take it from the trash, you'd likely find a LOT more going into the trash. "Hey, it's trash!"

Funny thing is, many of those who are up in arms about this guy getting canned are the same ones who think it's ok for Frist to take free shit while bitching about people on welfare.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

I think you have a role reversal issue.

Control issues much?

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

That's the way I understood it, but if some of the others are right (Not the troll above), then perhaps it's not as black-and-white as we think, Hachi.

*snipping the rest of the misogynist shit*

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®