OT - replacing light bulbs

Random thoughts: Can be a royal PITA when they're on the ceiling of a stairwell! OTOH, simple if just a desk or table lamp. Unelss one's out of light bulbs. ;-)

A true light bulb story from umpteen years ago. A bulb was out in a classroom. Janitor comes in with new bulb & stepladder. He proceeds to wedge the ladder *over* the student desk that was underneath dead bulb in order to replace the bulb. ==:-O Sometimes you just have to wonder...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

and here I thought you had some specific questions about replacing tail light bulbs in a 04 Toyota Sienna, for shame on you!!

The old brick school I attended had very old incandescent lights and not the more modern fluorescent lights. These old bulbs lasted for ever but did not give out the lumens that more modern lights emit. We did have large windows, which during the day allowed us much light and we could open them too for fresh air which you can't do nowdays in modern schools. Or can you?

Reply to
dbu,

How about replacing bulbs for the instrument cluster? Ye flipping gods...

Reply to
Joe Schmuckatelli

See my second post in the other thread. I didn't see "tail" the first time through!

Yes, they all open. In my building ('53 original wing, '72 wing, plus recent-ish renovations), at any rate. Actually I think at least one *has* to, re: "Rescue Window". Plus I can't imagine what it'd be like, warmth-wise, if I couldn't open the windows - just thinking about that: arggghhh. There have been times when it was snowing, yet I've had a window open - room was stifling, otherwise. But sometimes only one window per room has a screen, so if it's spring/summer, eventually in comes a bee, which sets the kids off...

The windows in my regular classroom go right up to the ceiling, & span an entire wall - lots of light. That room was completely renovated, maybe...

8 - 10 years ago. Those in the temporary room in which I'm presently ensconced *used* to go up to the ceiling, but the upper portions were walled over back in the 70's... :-(

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

How many school employees does it take to change a light bulb...?

Reply to
badgolferman

Easy! :-)

Here in Ohio

Interesting. Fluorescent lights were first sold in '38. I thought they were in pretty widespread use by the end of WW II.

Reply to
Here in Ohio

It depends upon the size of the school system. Just take the number of students in the school system and divide by 1000. Round the result up to the next whole number and that's how many employees are needed.

Reply to
Here in Ohio

I'll take issue with that on the Tercel.

1) Remove the screw holding in the trim around the instrument cluster. 2) Detach the trim from the dash using a thin flat-blade screwdriver. 3) Unplug the cable from the defroster button. 4) Set the trim aside -- if you can get it past the steering column and the levers. 5) Remove the three screws holding in the instrument cluster. 6) Crawl underneath the car and detach the speedometer cable from the drive housing on the transaxle. 7) Pull the instrument cluster towards you. Squeeze your hand in behind the cluster and unhook the speedo cable and the three wiring connectors.

The instrument cluster can now be removed and the offending bulb(s) changed. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Reply to
Joe Schmuckatelli