{OT} Sharx the cat...

Do those sound like him or *what?!*

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

The terrorists/barbarians/insurgents seem to have millions of buddies, stateside, doing their level best to demoralize your nation. We are having problems in Canada, too, re giving proper support to our troops in Afghanistan. The limp-wristed leftie city council in Calgary, 300 km south of me, voted AGAINST allowing decals supporting the troops to be put on city vehicles.

Reply to
sharx35

"sharx35" ...

Like I said...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Those being cars *OWNED* by the City government, correct?

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'm guessing yes, in which case, it becomes a thorny political problem.

If you let them put that on a government vehicle, you also have to let other political views be expressed.

Obviously, I support the troops, but I can see why this one is a tough cookie

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Oh, yeah, OWNED by City of Calgary, financed by TAXPAYERS.

Reply to
sharx35

To NOT support the troops, themselves, is out and out treason.

Reply to
sharx35

How would you like a sticker on city owned vehicles that said "Go to Church Sunday!" (especially if you were an atheist, agnostic, Jew or Seventh-Day Adventist?)

Reply to
mack

I hate to sound too Liberal, but, yeah, I can see that. Like Nat said, then you'd have all kinds of other stickers (mostly k00k whack0 crap) all over the cars.

Better to ignore all than accept all...

Reply to
Hachiroku

sharx35 wrote:

Yup, that's how it's supposed to be, as far as freedom goes. If you let them have support the troops stickers plastered on the vehicles, you'd have to let the opposing views be displayed as well, then that would open up some pretty hostile encounters.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

What about police cars? They're also owned by the government, but the government has never let you drive them, only ride in them, in the back seat, in hand cuffs, many, many times while you were blacked out from Everclear and Prestone.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I like the idea of stickers all over the car. Nobody would want to take them home for personal use.

Reply to
mark digital©

Hmmm...I don't know about the Prestone...

I know all too well about the Everclear, but getting a free ride is more or less alien to me...

Reply to
Hachiroku

This seems to be a problem around here!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well, I AM an agnostic and I couldn't care less if such stickers appeared. No one every died from going to church on Sunday.

Reply to
sharx35

No. You. DO NOT. ANY stickers have to be approved. Council could DISallow any other stickers.

Reply to
sharx35

OTOH once you get there and the church turns out to be a snake handling cult...

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

"sharx35" ...

Not legally, they can't. Too subjective.

At least in the US, dunno about you folks in Canuckistan.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Well, it would be up to some person or group to take legal action and A LOT OF MONEY. So, council can do a whole lot of stuff, unless someone with deeper pockets comes along. I used toget threatened with litigation quite regularly on the Net. My response was: BRING IT ON~~~ because 99.99999% of those who threaten litigation just don't have the cajones, physically or financially to afford a prolonged legal battle, including the inevitable countersuits that my attorneys would launch.

Reply to
sharx35

What do you guys have similar to the ACLU?

Reply to
Hachiroku