OT Someone gets hung and nobody here mentions it?

I've suspected for a long time that most all political bickering in this group wasn't coming from US citizens. Where are you guys? Moarning?

Reply to
mark digital©

They say these things come in threes. First President Ford, then James Brown, now Saddam Hussein. Does Hussein count as the third since he was executed?

It is curious why he was executed so quickly after the sentencing. Maybe that's the way they do it everywhere else other than the US. I'm sure we could have got more information from him.

For some reason I don't have the need to watch the video or look at the pictures. So long, Saddam. I hope God has pity on your soul.

Reply to
badgolferman

How much is there to say, though? Granted some people wanted him to face more trials, but OTOH... those could've could gone on & on & on. We knew it was going to happen - his execution, the guy was guilty as all get-out, & even though I'm not a proponent of the death penalty... well, hey.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

There is a huge difference between a man who is 'hung' and one who is 'hanged.' Many I suspect, including Saddam, would prefer the former, few the later LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

No mourning for Saddam from me. His prompt execution makes our average 20 some years (here in California anyhow) look pretty pathetic.

Reply to
Ron

Mourning? No. That wretched man, Goddam Hussein, got his come- uppance. I gave a silent cheer, not something I usually do even when I hear of a "bad" person dying. When I was a lad there was a saying: "Good riddance to bad rubbish". That about sums up my attitude. Sadly there will be legions more like him, waiting to take his place. *sigh* Nuff time and life/lives wasted on him.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

I am not a death penalty fan.

If it would have been up to me I would have clostered him in a prison, preserve him for a future use.

Reply to
dbu,

The most famous liberal in world history, Thomas Jefferson, favored execution the morning following conviction for murderers. Except if the verdict was given on Friday, the execution would be the following Monday.

Reply to
Ignatius Thistlewhite

What's so exciting when people get killed?

Reply to
ZR

That's what they were afraid of...that if the Bath party regains power, they would free and restore him.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Why? To avoid paying overtime to the execution staff?

Reply to
sharx35

In the old days, hanging often meant slow strangulation. More recently, it means instant death via broken neck.

Reply to
sharx35

You mean the terrorist loving Europeans, no doubt.

Reply to
sharx35

Huh; that's not what I assumed he - Mike H. - meant. I may be wrong, but I think he was referring to the proper terminology being "hanged", not "hung". OTOH, if a guy is (well) hung...

From what medical info was given on CNN last night, hanging isn't instant death. But the virtually immediate paralysis accompanying the broken neck due to the hanging may render the person (being hanged) free of pain in the ensuing moment/minutes before death.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Did the commentator suggest that the person would be consciously aware of what was going on, as he dangled there?

Reply to
sharx35

Iraqi law states that execution must be carried out within 30 days of the final appeal to the highest court.

Reply to
Mark A

Not that I remember; nor did he suggest the person was unconscious. From that explanation though, I got the feeling that the person would be conscious - or semi-so. Otherwise, why point out the pain-free bit?

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

It depends on the person and the circumstances. Most die quickly, but some do not have their neck broken and die more slowly. I think Saddam was heavy enough that he died quickly.

Reply to
Mark A

Not if he were far away from Iraq and subject to controls by another entity.

Anyway it's all history, forget it.

Reply to
dbu,

This took into account the neck breaking immediately - that's what produced the paralysis & therefore lack of pain. But the brain continuing to have activity for a short time - up to a few minutes, & the heart continuing to beat for perhaps several minutes after the brain was dead. (The hanged person being declared dead, even if the heart was still beating.)

I'm just relaying the medical info that was given on the news.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.