OT-- Sounds like a plan to me...

I agree, except for one thing: If a politician votes for a war, every eligible person in their family should be IMMEDIATELY enlisted. No exemptions of any kind. And, as soon as the shooting starts, the get assigned to the most dangerous job possible. I don't care if they're blind & deaf and missing a leg. They can wash dishes in a mess hall near the front lines.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The draft was the best thing that happened to me. I joined the Air Force to avoid the draft and spent 4 years away from home, parents etc. Learn a lot more when you are away -- Kind of kicks you out of the nest..

CIL

Yeah, but my plan might force these idiots to think a bit harder before behaving like sheep and backing idiots like Bush and pigs like Cheney & Wolfowitz. Round up their kids & grandkids. Have federal marshalls pick them up, if necessary.

JoeSpareBedroom

That's a bunch of crap. The volunteer service has been working fine for the past thirty years. It's one of the things that shows Americans truly love their country and are WILLING to fight for it. The draft is a political tool used by lefties to make themselves look good.

Reply to
badgolferman

Virtually the entire congress voted for the current war. Don't you think their young relatives should be in Iraq getting killed or maimed, along with everyone else's?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

They were chosen to lead the nation and make difficult decisions, they weren't chosen to be warriors. No, I don't think our leaders should be sending their families to the front lines. There would be the potential for their making decisions based upon fear or the potential for their children being kidnapped or any other scenarios. If their family members wanted to serve that would be a different story.

Reply to
badgolferman

We all need to make difficult decisions. But, if my kid does something bad, I don't go to my neighbor's house and punish his kids.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sure does!

Another kookie idea from a Dim....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Would you really want some of these Dims in a fox hole with ya? LOL

I was drafted in Navy Boot Camp, so I was going no matter what.

Scott in Florida

....and to let people like Clintoon get out of service.....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

What about that Wal Mart medical insurance, puss wad? How much does it cost for the typical store associate?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I was planning on going into the Coast Guard Academy. I was on track to be admitted when I got washed out for medical reasons. They ended the draft before my 18th birthday, too. My dad was very disappointed in me for years afterward and we didn't talk much.

Charles of Schaumburg.

Reply to
n5hsr

Why would he be disappointed in you? It was not your fault...

Sometimes parents don't make much sense...LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Dad was dissapointed sort of in himself, too. He didn't have the money to send me to a proper college, and when I washed out of Coast Guard Academy admissions, he saw me as not making anything out of myself. It just took a little longer in my case. I finally got a 4 year degree on my own at age

  1. That's when he started being proud of me again.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Good for you.

We all want approval from our parents.

I personally don't think your Dad should have been disappointed, but that is just me...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I wouldn't mind seeing 2 years mandatory military service required for every US citizen.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Yup....a drill sergeant would slap the libs silly...LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

That would be ok with me to provided there would be no way for college students to weasle out of it.

Reply to
dbu'