OT: Wow: in 20 minutes...

we went from 10 dyas of Oh My God, crank up the AC! to Oh, My God, crank up the electric blanket!

Thank God!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I hear rumors there are other interesting ways to keep warm besides electric blankets.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr
110 in Phoenix today, no need for blankets and they say it will warm up the next few days.
Reply to
zonie

Bit like that in the UK, from a warm to hot pleasant late spring/early summer, to a wet miserable cold novemeber.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Reply to
tom418

Reply to
Dbu~^

Come on down to Tucson and cool off - only 106° yesterday. jor

Reply to
jor

It was 93 yesterday, and the weatherman says rain on Friday. It NEVER rains in Sacramento, California in June. The weather's gone to hell in a handbasket.

Global warm> we went from 10 dyas of Oh My God, crank up the AC!

Reply to
Tom Crabtree

The north east just went through the coolest spring in fifty years. It MUST be the global warming..... oops I forgot the environuts no longer call it global warming. It is now global temperature change, so they can blame the cold weather on man, as well as the heat. LOL

mike hunt

Tom Crabtree wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

You have no idea how Global Warming even works do you? Obviously you would rather spout of bullshit than become educated enough to have an intelligent discussion.

Reply to
Josh

Actually, (I took geology in HS and 2 years in college) we are heading for an Ice Age! An ice age occurs every 10-12,000 years, and it's been just about 11,000 since the last one.

There is ALWAYS a change of 'season' just before the onset of an ice age (or so the evidence suggests) kind of like a lightbulb glowing very brightly just before it burns out. The temperature WILL increase for a couple centuries and then start turning colder. So, if this warming trend IS the onset of an ice age, then the temperatures will increase for the next 3-500 years, and then will start to 'normalize' for 3-500 years, and then get progressively colder.

If there is anything was can learn from geologic history, it's that the Earth ALWAYS wins. No matter WHAT we do, the patterns that have prevailed in the past will prevail in the future.

The other thing that the study of geology teaches us, is that the earth frequently changes it's axis. So, it is not inconceivalbe that what are temperate zones today might very well be arid or frigid in the next

500-2000 years. This shift might just be the beginning of one of these changes.

Don't worry; you and I aren't going to live long enough to see the outcome of these changes...

Reply to
hachiroku

Hey mike, see my answer to Tom's response...

You live in my general area, don't you? What did YOU think of the last ten days? (or was that M Twain?)

Reply to
hachiroku

Hey, they don't call it NEW England fer nuthin'!

Hey, what does your sig mean/come from? You know, about the "Meatballs" being "Orf"?

Reply to
hachiroku

Ya know Charles, after two divorces, an electric blanket is all I can (or DARE!!!) afford!!!

Reply to
hachiroku

Oh, nice! BUT, we also had dewpoints of near 80!!!! Talk about getting soaked just sitting still!

Reply to
hachiroku

Well I'm a bachelor, a feller who hasn't made the same mistake once.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

You don't know what you're missing...

In one way or another...

Reply to
hachiroku

And probably never will. At 47, it's hard to teach an old dog like me how to turn any new tricks .

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

This is all true, BUT - we are warming it faster, speeding up the effect. What happens is the oceans get diluted and the Gulf Stream and other ocean currents stop. Ice age follows - basically a massive heatsink to keep the planet from overheating.

It would have taken another few hundred years to start. Now it looks like maybe 50. Our own fault for loosing precious time, because during an ice age, life with 8-10 billion people at the time just won't be sustainable. Not like it currently is.

Actually, this isn't going to happen anytime soon. What is, though, is a magnetic pole reversal. It's starting as well, and will be hell on our radiation protection and navigation for a few hundred years until it sets again. That both are looking like they will happen at once - it's going to be rough on a lot of species.

Sounds for a minute like our leaders.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

But it will take hundreds of years (perhaps thousands) from onset to actual ice age. I don't hear ANYONE making any plans for dealing with it for future generations...

Don't lump me in with them just yet...

Reply to
hachiroku