(OT:) WOW! What a deal!!!

McDonalds has WiFi available. I carry my Laptop with me and do some WarDriving once in a while, but have found McD's has WiFi.

It's $2.95 for a 2 hour connection! Unless you have a WayPort membership or Pre Paid card. Membership is $29.95 a month with a year agreement, or $49.99 a month! Or, you can pre-pay:

A new prepaid connection card

$25 card: 3 connections ($8.33 per connection)

$50 card: 8 connections ($6.25 per connection)

$100 card: 20 connections ($5.00 per connection)

Each connection gives you unlimited high-speed Net access in one location from purchase time until next check-in time in hotels, until midnight in airports and for up to 2 hours in McDonald's.

  • Prepaid Connection Cards not valid in hotel meeting facilities. Valid at U.S. locations only.

WOW! At $100, it's only $5 *PER CONNECTION*!!!! Nice!!! I think I'll sign up immediately!

Back to WarDriving...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Just keep your eyes on the road, willya?

A friend went overseas and reported that, as he sat in a busy street, he had access to 7 networks.

What would it cost McD's, or nearly any business, to provide WiFi for free? Practically zilch. I imagine they don't want "campers," though.

Reply to
DH

Yup, that's why the Horn and Hardart people, who ran the Automats in NYC, removed ash trays from their tables about half a century ago or more.....there was no prohibition against smoking in their restaurants as there would be now, but they figured that if they didn't have ashtrays, their customers would finish their meal or their coffee, and leave the place, having a smoke on the street and not lounging about, hogging tables all day.

Reply to
mack

Tangential thoughts... Going to the automat, plus subway rides (when the lights in the subway cars always went out in the tunnels now & again), were the highlights of my trips to NYC when I was little. Even the ride down there on the new Thruway was super-cool, AFAIWC. ;-)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

'K. Not a problem!

Here in the technolgically advanced state of Massachusetts, known for it's wealth of techological knowledge, there are very, very few public hotspots.

In ol' backwards Vermont, there is WiFi access in every rest area, in front of municipal buildings like libraries, and other places as well.

I can understand that! And I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee! But $49 a month for something I might use twice a week?!

Reply to
Hachiroku