OT your tax returns

That's about the way the US economy and tax system have worked for decades and decades, and that's a major reason why the federal deficit shrank so much in the late 1990s. Of course we could avoid such revenue shortfalls through sensible policies such as a 100% tax on poverty or a really flat tax of $10,000 a year per person.

You haven't heard of this? When Roosevelt sold SS as a pension plan, one of his advisors privately told him it wasn't one. FDR replied that he knew it but had to convince the public otherwise so that it couldn't be dismantled by the Republicans after he was gone.

Former Communist and current Republican economist Thomas Sowell criticizes SS for being a pyramid scheme:

Time magazine, Mar. 20, 1995, "Social Insecurity":

"Many people flatly refuse to believe Social Security was sold to the populace as social insurance, with disastrous effect. Legions of people take it as an article of faith that each person gets back in benefits exactly as much as he or she has paid in contributions during the working years. Some seem to think that somewhere in the depths of the system is an account bearing each person's name and number, containing the exact amount of taxes paid over a lifetime, in cash or readily cashable securities, to be paid back penny for penny on retirement. This idea lends a note of moral fervor-almost fanaticism- to the demands that benefit formulas never be touched.

"But it is a mirage. To finance Social Security, Congress set up a pay- as-you-go system that is still in operation: each year's pensions are paid out of the taxes contributed by workers that year. In the early days it was a fabulous money-and-votes machine. Workers paying taxes, even at what now look like phenomenally low rates, so heavily outnumbered retirees that Congress could raise benefits every few years, to the glee of pensioners and the ballot-box profit of their representatives. Even when the money began to run out in 1983, a bipartisan commission saved the day--for the next 75 years, it was then thought--by recommending rather minor cutbacks in benefits and very major increases in taxes, the last of which took effect only in

1990."

Yet you told me to cite a source for my claim about SS. >:(

Around here, the hospital in the retirement community of Sun City tended to have lower than average costs than other private hospitals in the area for the same procedures, and that hospital received a much higher proportion of its payments from Medicare. About the only overall cheaper hospital here was the county's, which also received a higher percentage of Medicaid and Medicare than normal. In fact it used to be such a cash cow that the county used its profits to cover the county's revenue shortfalls.

I don't think any innovations in health coverage have been created by the private insurance system in the past 20+ years; it's basically just copied the federal government's cost controls while cherry picking patients.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Shrank? You honestly believed Clinton's smoke-and-mirrors? Wow.

The bottom line is that fraud is rampant in Medicare. Ask any case worker. Heck, I saw it personally during the period immediately following my mother's death. You can't believe the paperwork from doctors trying to bleed the system for bills already paid.

There are no checks and balances, Larry.

Reply to
witfal

Sober up, Mike. The Republicans love the lax regulation of the mortgage business at least as much as the Democrats or any other bribe takers do. Why else did GW Bush's Treasury secretary, when asked about fixing the sub-prime mess by restricting the worse practices, say he opposed the efforts because they would prohibit financial innovations, AKA unproductive gimmickry?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

You've just shown who needs the diapers, but I've heard that your second wife won't help you with them because of the nasty pre-nup you had her sign and your incontinence.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

DUH! The old "Ya' but" excuse. It is not the Republican that are harping about the problem, it is the Dims and the Dims are the ones that caused the problem they now want to blame on the Administration in an election year. Typical hypocrisy of you lefty kooks

Reply to
Mike hunt

Exactly how did Democrats cause the mortgage crisis? I'm ready to learn from you. Be very specific and detailed. No web links. Your words ONLY.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What part of, "Do a search of "Red Lining" and you will discover who passed the banking laws that allowed lending institutions to lend up to 110% of the value of a property to help the "disadvantaged" get into their own home," did you not understand? LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

I need bill numbers so I can look them up online. You have those. Like S.1096 for senate, for instance.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

They really don't see the picture Mike. I tried to tell them that weeks ago. Ignorance is bliss.

Reply to
dbu.'

Try starting with the "Congressional Record," WBMA

Reply to
Mike hunt

Nope. You mentioned legislation. You have the bill numbers, but you're refusing to produce them. If I'm wrong, than I need the actual name of the bill. For instance, HR5013 amends the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act.

Every bill has a name. Give me the real name of the bill. You have the information.

If you don't provide either the bill number of name of legislation, it will be assumed by anyone who reads your comments that you are pathetically misinformed.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You can assume whatever you want. I did my own research, if you want information on bills you will need to do you own search of the Congressional Record as do I. LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

In other words, you have the information, but are refusing to produce it. You're just being an asshole. Typical.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not really I am simply pointing out that you are a typical blowhard that is not willing to do his own research of facts on which to base his opinions. LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

ROTFL.

That comes from the guy who makes false statements about Chrysler's warranty even when the URL for Chrysler's FAQ was given to him.

Kettle, meet pot. He was asking that you back your opinion. Something you are rarely able to do.

You're inability to provide simple information, like the URL of the commerce department website about VINs or the House or Senate bill name suggests that you don't know what you're talking about. Your comments prove it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It is customary here (starting now) that when you make a claim, you back it up with clear information. Don't assign homework when you've already done it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Please, don't make the assumption that he has the information.

The fact that he can't produce it indicates that he doesn't have the information.

Your conclusion in the last sentence is correct.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I had a momentary lapse of judgement and was being charitable. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Even the biggest member of Dick Cheney's secret energy conspiracy said that Iraq'q oil production would fall far short of that..

Do you remember just a couple of years ago, when talk of $100/barrel oil was considered lunacy?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

My wife and I spend just 40% of our income. Does the federal government do the same, or does its spending exceed its income by

10-20%?

Nothing is as wasteful as money spent on an unnecessary war.

Unlike other people, you answered incorrectly because China and Russia spend proportionally less of their GDPs on defense than the US does on ours.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama