pickup, coil, origniter module?

I'm troubleshooting my little bros 88 corolla 4 cyl. It runs for a few seconds then dies like it is running out of gas. But in actuality, there is no spark but there is power going to the distributor. I'm thinkin' it could be the coil, but it might be the pickup sensor or the module in there. Has anybody had any experience with this sort of problem?

-jk

Reply to
jk

A possibility is that some cars have a resistor that lowers the power to the coil to extend the life of the ignition components. When cranking, the resistor is bypassed to provide maximum spark energy. If the car has such a resistor and it went bad, there will be spark only when cranking. The engine will seem to start okay then die when the ignition switch is moved from start to on.

Pat

Reply to
Greywolf

Quite accurate. It could also be as simple as a fuse or as bad as the TCU. (The computer)

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Car runs for about 5 to 20 seconds with key in "on", not "start". Then won't start for another 10 min. No computer; vacuum + mechanical spark advance. Its got 12V goin in so it's got to be the SENSOR PICKUP, COIL OR MODULE.

Reply to
jk

Replace the Coil. Want to be sure? Pack it in dry ice and see if it lasts much longer before dying. Bet it does.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Good idea! Thanks.

Reply to
jk

Thank me by not top posting.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

The coil was bad. I don't know what top posting means.

Reply to
jk