Please Help - Reprogramming 03 Sienna keyless entry fob

Hi:

Recently one of the keyless entry fob's for my 03 sienna stopped working. I checked the battery in the fob and it is OK. The numbers at the back of the fob are:

FCC ID GQ43VT14T CAN 1470 102 849 MEX RCPTR3002-028

88LPOO65

I found two different sets of re-programming instructions in this newsgroup:

Set 1 Step 1 - open drivers side door and get in your vehicle. Step 2 - put key completely into ignition,then pull out. Step 3- with door open, lock and unlock 5 times on door console (ten clicks total). Step 4 - close door then open door. Step 5 - lock and unlock 5 times on door console (ten clicks total). Step 6 - put key completely into ignition then turn to the on position then pull key out (you will now hear the door locks lock then unlock a couple of times) Step 7 - now quickly press the lock and unlock buttons at the same time only for about a second. Step 8 - then quickly press the lock button for just a second. Step 9 - exit car and close the door After you do this you should hear a beep then your lights will flash. This will indicate that your remote is programmed to your vehicle.

Results: After step 8, nothing happens when I use the non-working fob. With the other working fob, these instructions work perfectly.

Set 2

  1. Driver door open and unlocked. Key out of the ignition
  2. Insert the key and remove 2 times in 5 sec.
  3. Close and open driver door 2 times in 40 sec.
  4. Insert the key and remove it again from ignition.
  5. Close and open driver door 2 times in 40 sec.
  6. Insert the key in ignition,
  7. Close the door,
  8. Turn to on and back to lock in 1 second intervals. 1 time for add, 2 times for rewrite, 3 for confirmation 5 for prohibition. (yes, there is no "4")
  9. Remove the key
  10. Power lock will cycle to confirm
  11. For add or rewrite mode within 40 sec of the confirmation, A. press "lock" and "unlock" buttons of the FOB at the same time between 1 and 1.5 seconds. B. within 3 sec press "Lock" button for more than 1 sec and release. C. If it's correct, the power door lock will cycle once. If it's wrong the door lock will cycle twice.

Results: Don't work at all with either of the fob's.

Can anyone please advice what could be wrong and/or if there is anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance,

AJ.

Reply to
AJ

How do you know that the battery in the fob is OK? I suspect that the non-working fob has a dead battery.

Reply to
Ray O

I confirmed that the battery in the non-working fob is OK. I took the battery from the non-working fob and:

a. checked the voltage using a multimeter and it showed 3.0 volts b. put it in the other working fob and that fob worked OK.

I also put in a brand new battery in the non-working fob and it did not work but it worked in the working fob.

Thanks.

Reply to
AJ

The next step is to take apart the non-working fob and clean the contacts on the mini-circuit board and the contacts on the back side of the rubber button with rubbing alcohol or tuner cleaner.

Key fobs themselves rarely quit working and I have never heard of them losing their programming or becoming de-programmed unless someone messed with the keyless entry ECM.

Reply to
Ray O

Cleaned the contacts and the back side of the rubber buttons with contact cleaner fluid, still does not work...anything else I can try?

Thanks.

Reply to
AJ

Cleaned the contacts and the back side of the rubber buttons with contact cleaner fluid, still does not work...anything else I can try?

Thanks.

Reply to
AJ

Cleaned the contacts and the back side of the rubber buttons with contact cleaner fluid, still does not work...anything else I can try?

Thanks.

Reply to
AJ

Sorry,

I'm out of ideas without access to a factory repair manual. You can pay $10/day for access to the factory service manuals and technical service bulletins (check both) at techinfo.toyota.com or take it to a dealer for programming.

Reply to
Ray O