Poor Toyota

They can't meet demand for cockroaches...I mean Priuses

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I didn't open the link, but I'm not terribly surprised, with the gas prices where they are & no signs of going down anytime soon; makes the approx. $5000 disparity (assuming one's trading upwards from under $20K) shrink a bit. If one's trading laterally, well... not exactly rocket science - or math. ;-)

I went to the local Toyota dealer's yesterday & only one Prius was on the lot - it had a delivery date of 6-12-08 & was already sold. Until lately, they've had 2 - 5 Priuses on the lot each week for the last year or so.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Actually the price difference, to drive on home a Prius over a Corolla with the same equipment, is more like $8,500. That $8,500 will buy 2150 gallons of gas, before one starts to save one penny on fuel.

In ten years the Corolla owner will not need to spend another $5,000 (1250 gallons)to replace the battery to be able to sell their car. ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

Neither will the Prius owner. If I am incorrect, please show the evidence that there have been a lot of problems with batteries that have not been covered by the warranty.

However, the price difference between a Prius and a comparably equipped Camry is about $4000 (MSRP) and probably about $6000 drive home price. That is a better comparion, IMHO.

Although your dementia probably doesn't allow to remember it, we have been through this recently. SO I will not waste any more time replying to you, unless you have something worthwhile to offer. Basically, you're nor worth my time.

JEff

Reply to
Jeff

I think the cockroach is still too expensive - and ugly.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Then buy a different car.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'm not buying a car for a long time, if I can help it. Maybe they'll make a better looking hybrid by then.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

And they're crying all the way to the bank...

Reply to
hachiroku

At least people *want* to pay the money that's making a corporation rich.

With Big Oil, it's an entirely different success story.

:-P

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

What, that they happen to be in the business that is caught in the middle between oil barons and politicians with their hands out?

Reply to
badgolferman

Reply to
Mike hunt

Reply to
Mike hunt

You are correct, the current hybrids from Ford and Toyota are already out dated. The GM transmission type electric motors and plug-in types are the wave of the future. In a few years those that own the current Ford and Toyota hybrids will have a problem selling them

Reply to
Mike hunt

That, and the fact that windfall taxes got shot down.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

THANK GOD!!!!

You or I would have *never* seen any of that money. At the best it should/ could have been used for the crumbling infrastructure, but chances are it would go to pork, pet projects, or illegal aliens.

Reply to
Hach

This is the sort of problem that both Ford and GM wish they had. Well, I suppose they do sort of have this problem. Apparently Ford is adding extra shifts to produce Foci, and they can't get enough hybrid stuff from Aisin AW to keep up with the demand for hybrid Escapes and Mariners. And even GM can't keep up with the demand for hybrid Tahoes.

I have to wonder if this is not a massive over-reaction. I was just looking over my operating costs for the cars I own (for me and two sons in college)....I am spending more on insurance than gas.

I still say if people would drive 10% less, the gas price would drop back to

2007 levels. But I suppose this is not going to happen. The press claims people are driving less, but you'd never tell it from the traffic in the Raleigh area.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I'll admit it is an acquired taste, but they have grown on me. They are really common in the Raleigh area. One co-worker and my SO's Mother have one. They are both happy owners. I have not driven one, but I have sat in them several times. The driving positions fine, with plenty of room for a large guy. However, the view out the rear is horrible. And it is my opinion that they are nowhere near as roomy as a Camry no matter what the interior volume numbers claim. I think the size correct comparison is with a Corolla, not a Camry. They are very narrow and a lot of the interior volume is unusable unless you are storing ping pong balls.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Windfall taxes are a horrible idea. Can you even define what constitutes a windfall? Should we hit IBM with windfall taxes? They have been doing pretty well for a couple of quarters (mostly do to the falling value of the dollar and offshore sourcing - sort of like oil companies).

It seems to me that the call for windfall taxes is motivated by revenge. When did it become crimial to sell things for as much as you can get for them? I have a small farm, corn prices have trippled since last year. Should I have to pay windfall taxes (despite the fact that I probably won't make any more than last year becasue the price of everythign else has trippled too)?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

"C. E. White"...

Really? Cool. But as for adding extra shifts, that doesn't surprise me, since they've laid off so many workers in the first place. I suppose if you're well off enough to have a really large vehicle, gas prices don't really affect you much.

Hasn't that *always* been the way?!

Raleigh's still not as bad as most large American cities.

In Fayetteville, I'm seeing an awful lot more folks riding the bus. This thing might actually have a positive outcome, if we can wrestle Americans away from their beloved vehicles.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"C. E. White" ...

I can't believe anyone would think a Prius is roomier or even anywhere near as roomy as a Camry, anyway!

The interior sounds like my Echo. All those slots hold a lot of CDs, but since I've had an iPod, I haven't needed that space, but...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®