Prius

But one can afford more lunch when paying for electricity. Kilowatt-hour for kilowatt-hour, electricity is cheaper than gasoline. And when the electricity comes from efficient power plants during off-peak times (which can happen with computer controls), the energy is even cheaper.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Why aren't more "nuculer" reactors being built? Don't they have the safety aspects of the technology perfected yet? We know there is a problem with waste, but ultimately that stuff can be sent off in space towards the sun, if there is no safe place to put it, can't it?

cordially, as always,

rm

Reply to
anon

Don't worry Natalie. There is still plenty of room to put a body.

Reply to
Go Mavs

I detest it when Bush pronounces it that way.

I also detested it just as much when Jimmy Carter did as well.

I just don't remember the press making fun of Carter for doing it.

Reply to
witfal

The difference is that everyone knows that Carter, at least, could spell the word.

cordially, as always,

rm

Reply to
anon

Jimmy Carter was a qualified command officer to command a nuclear submarine (he left the Navy after his dad died before the first nuclear sub was launched). I think he knew more about nuclear energy than Bush knows about anything.

Reply to
Jeff

A guess: because other than the pronunciation of that one word, his command of the English language is obviously excellent. And, IIRC, he's versed in nuclear physics.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I'll respond to your post, Cathy, and hope that others see it, as it addresses two other responses.

You've all made your points, obviously historical facts. But none of them addressed my statement. If it's wrong to mispronounce a word, it's wrong no matter who does it.

Period.

BTW, Cathy, my wife and I spent the last two days in Napa wine country. During our stay, I read the San Francisco Chronicle which had an article from the NY Times about Raul Castro. Using that spelling. ;-)

Reply to
witfal

It's been pointed out here that /nuculer/ is an accepted pronunciation in the South. Personally, I think it sounds wrong no matter, but then I'm in the NE. ;-)

See above.

Someone's not up to snuff... ;-)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Well, I DID say it was the NY Times.

Reply to
witfal

Rear visibility in the NHW20 Prius is actually better than one may at first think. That bar across the rear window - for most people (based on their height) it nicely blocks the blinding headlights of the car behind them at night. 8)

With the lower-down window, you can see shorter items behind your car at a closer distance, than you could with a trunk (such as on the NHW11 Prius). Because of this ability to see low/closer things behind you, I much prefer the visibility in the NHW20 Prius over that in my NHW11, and I have the rear bumper scrapes on my NHW11 to prove it!

Reply to
mrv

I don't know what "NHW20" means, but... that is a definite point in its favor! If only the same could somehow be done (re: any ol' car) about the driver's side mirror & the lights of the car behind... that drives me nuts. At least one can easily flip the rearview mirror, but the side mirrors...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

There's a NEW invention, Kathy! It's called remote controlled mirrors. It's only been around several decades. Where have you been?

Reply to
sharx35

A rather snobbish remark jeff. This is yet another thing that totally turns me away from liberal stink, their snobbishness and egotistical attitude.

Carter was never in command of a nuclear sub.

Bush was a QUALIFIED command pilot of U.S.A.F. aircraft. They don't give wings, you earn them.

Reply to
dbu

Right here, w/remote controlled side mirrors. *But*, they don't flip from the position in which you have them set, to a 'night' position, & then back again to the set position.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Correctomendo! No they don't, at least mine don't. What *I* do, if some yahoo's lights are reflecting off my left outside mirror into my eyes is to quickly reach over and press the button, altering the lateral angle of the mirror. Hopefully, this causes the light to then shine back into HIS eyes. Once the problem is over, I nudge the button, restoring it to the previous position, approximately. However, the problem only occurs rarely.

Reply to
sharx35

NHW20 is the model number for the 2004-current model year Prius. NHW10 was the 1997-2000 MY (Japan only) and NHW11 is the 2001-2003 MY (AKA the "classic" Prius)

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

"Daniel Who Wants to Know" wrote in message news:%26ri.27772$Xa3.3915@attbi_s22...

Ah, okay; thanks.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

cool article about electric motorcycle drag racers.

Moe

Speaking of energy lost as heat, do a search of "negawatts," the huge amount of heat lost in the transmission of electricity. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter