Prius

But I didn't want to go to another dealer. This one is in my home town not far from where I live and easy to get to, plus I have high confidence in the work they do and how they handle customers. I have high marks for this dealer, it all means quite a bit to me in the total purchase experience. I've been the cheapest route before with other brands and it left me not a happy camper.

Reply to
dbu.,

Cathy, it could be that the Toyota dealers weren't trading Siennas right then because they were hot product.

From the dealer perspective, it's better to sell the one on your lot at a profit than trade it away and watch someone else sell it while you wait a few weeks for your next allocation.

Reply to
DH

Holy crap!!! (banging my head against a brick wall here!!) Okay, I will try to calm down & explain this once more:

See below.

This one is in my home town

*I* didn't go to another dealership, either. My own local dealer - whether the Datsun dealership back in '76, or for my 4 Corollas the same Toyota local dealership I've been going to since '84 - did the searches each time, located the car I wanted, & each car was brought *to* my dealership from the other ones where each car (that met my specifications) had been located via the searches.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

True - that's possible, *but* dbu was still missing the point of my last couple of posts: he doesn't seem to get the idea that dealerships often

*will* do a search & find the exact car you want, if it exists on another dealer's lot, & get that car to you, at your own local dealership where you prefer doing business. (And I 've always made it clear to the salesman - politely but clearly - that if I didn't get "x" car at "y" price, I was walking - even if I didn't really -want- to go to another dealership in a different locale; so far, has always worked. My last car was fetched from a dealership PA by my local dealer, & I'm in upstate NY.) I sincerely doubt dbu even *asked* for a search, if he really wanted a different model.

But, from what salesmen have said to me, every time this happens - trading from lot-to-lot, the one dealership then knows they owe the other one a favor, & it all comes out in the wash. And, if they know you're set on a certain car & are going to walk if they can't procure it for you, I get the feeling they're usually willing to do a search. I also get the feeling that making a sale & keeping a local customer happy (who will then good-mouth the dealership instead of bad-mouth it) - even at a lower profit - is better than no sale & a disgruntled potential customer who is no longer a customer. And who might then be P.O.ed enough to prob. not use the dealership's service dep't., either!

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Sorry you banged your head against a brick wall. Must have hurt. You sure give yourself a beating over something so insignificant.

I know about what you are attempting to impress me with. I did that exact same thing when I purchased a brand new 1994 Dodge Caravan, they found the exact model I was looking for at another dealer and had it brought in. What I am trying to tell you is there is not a lot of options available on these new Siennas. They already have the major options built in and except for some comfort things there isn't much to add or take off. You get what you get.

Please don't hit your head against a brick wall again, it could trigger a stroke.

Reply to
dbu.,

I am so glad you made all of this so clear early on in the thread.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.