Prius recall

Today's announced recall of the '04 - '05 Prius for software problems confirms stories & opinions posted here & elsewhere months ago.

Does anyone in this newsgroup have info on the most recent build-date affected?

I'll still use my Prius for the extended trip I've planned for this weekend. The fault isn't catastrophic, the warranty includes roadside service, and the vehicles that have experienced the problem are a small percentage of the fleet.

Brent

Reply to
Brent Secombe

SP2? You can bet there'll be more.

Reply to
FanJet

Sorry, what's "SP2"?

Brent

Reply to
Brent Secombe

Mine's an August '05 one. Haven't gotten a "Bring-it-back" notice yet. The article says some '05's. Maybe I'm home free.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Service pack 2. Most likely a reference to the crappy Microsoft upgrade schemes.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Well since the recall was issued back in May, is it possible that yours and Brent's Prius' already have the fix?

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I wish I could say I were surprised

Natalie, a firm believer in, "If it sounds too good to be true..."

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

(Brent here) I expect that these two Priuses will be home free.

BTW I drove ours 300 miles today on country roads (55mph hilly stretches connecting 35mph villages). Average for the trip = 52.5mpg. Best stretch = 64.0mpg on a span of 17 miles of the same terrain after a fillup.

I'm happy.

Brent

Reply to
Brent Secombe

Any Prius built after Feb. 2005 will not be affected by the recall. Also, the recall is for a software issue only, causing momentary stalling, no mechanical issues are associated with it.

Reply to
cowdad

Thanks for that feedback. It meshes with my expectations about my own Prius's status.

I have great respect for what Toyota has accomplished. I hope that someone here will post information about the nature of the software problem and of the fix. Drivers' early reports are sketchy and not entirely consistent.

Brent

Reply to
Brent Secombe

I wonder if Toyota recognizes the HUGH after-market there could be for Prius MPG computers.

Reply to
FanJet

I hope so. On my '89 Scorpio the MPG computer was reset by the driver's touching a button. That way, it could reflect an entire trip. I liked having the choice.

For the Prius I keep a contemporaneous journal: odo reading, date, place, gallons taken, $/gal, total cost.

Brent

Reply to
Brent Secombe

The don't need that, they have the battery pack concession worth $4,000 per Prius somewhere down the road. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Are you deducting or adding that to the premium price you paid for the Prius?

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Toyota's engineering sucks anymore. They've been plagued with problems with the drive by wire stuff they introduced a few years back in the Lexus ES line. Now we hear of a software glitch in the Prius? Sounds like they're outsourcing their computer work to India too.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

I paid MSRP, no premium; and I bought the car off the lot, no wait. Of course, that was pre-hurricanes.

And as I've noted here before, I'd be excited about the Prius even if it weren't thrifty. It's a brilliant design very well executed.

Brent

Reply to
Brent Secombe

"Brent Secombe" wrote >

That's just as good as you would get with a standard Toyota Avensis D4D which is the models best seller in Europe.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Lucky you. I got stung for $500, also pre-hurricane, and drove mine off the lot the same day as well. They wanted far more but we argued a lot. Got to love So. CA car dealers for their screwing abilities. I think they stole their model from the Harley motorcycle dealers, fwiw. This was before the gas price shot up in late August so they may have had more dealers signing onto the high-demand surcharge method then.

Only good out of it is that the resale for the car with this nonsense going on will be higher (ergo, the Harley-Davidson plan). Depreciation doesn't look so bad now compared to the original doom and gloom predicted for the hybrids.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

If ones goal is to save the planet, hybrids may be an option. For the average new car buyer however the problem with hybrids is two fold. One can buy a comparable vehicle, like the Corolla for at $4,000 less. In the case of Hondas and Fords hybrids they too cost at least $4,000 more to drive home than the convention powered Honda and Ford. Any difference in fuel mile becomes moot since $4,000 will buy ALL OF THE FUEL to run a Civic or a Corolla for four years, at which time the average new vehicle buyer replaces their vehicle with another new vehicle, In addition one need not worry about spending another $4,000 at some point down the road to replace the batteries if they keep it longer. On top of that the shop rate for a tech trained to work on hybrids is higher ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Can one consider buying a hybrid as a tax?

Reply to
.DBU.,