PU Auto trans question

No, RPM's are not definitely high enough to shift out of second if it is dead cold out. Take the engine up to redline and describe what happens.

Reply to
Ray O

No. I won't do that. Doesn't feel like the right thing to do. I'd rather drive around slowly for an extra 60-120 seconds. Or, warm it up for 2-3 minutes, if (and only if) there's some snow & ice to scrape off the truck.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If you read my posts, you should know that I don't give advice that would cause permanent damage to your vehicle, but I understand and respect that you wouldn't feel comfortable bringing the engine up to redline and most people feel the same way, so I'll describe what happens at redline.

"Redline" is the maximum speed and engine can operate without harming the engine, so up to and including redline, no harm to the engine. Toyota's engineers have taken environmental conditions into account when determining redline, and test vehicles are driven at Toyota's test facility in Arizona during the summer and up near the arctic circle in the winter. On a Toyota (and I assume all electronically fuel injected engines), the ECU governs engine RPM by cutting fuel by not opening the injectors at redline. Without fuel, the engine RPM will drop, and when sufficiently below redline, the ECU will deliver fuel again until the engine reaches redline, and the process continues until the operator backs off of the throttle. When this is happening, the vehicle's occupants will experience a jerking sensation, much like someone who is just learning how to use a clutch or an engine with a very severe engine miss. Of course, at 6,000 RPM or whatever redline is, the engine is making a pretty fair amount of noise. The transmission ECU will shift just under redline regardless of coolant temperature. In other words, even when it is cold out, you can start your engine and drive wherever you need to drive without worrying.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray, I appreciate the advice, but this is one of those rare instances where the facts don't matter to me. :-) I mean, I could also beat my son. He's big & tough, and he'd get better in a few days, but I don't do it. I'd rather argue with him. It's easier.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Oh well, at least you can be comfortable knowing that you have a double safety margin - your own and the one that Toyota designed in!

Reply to
Ray O

Well, I haven't vacuumed the interior in 3 months. I know I'm living on the edge, but sometimes you just have to.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I had you beat, didn't vacuum the Lexus for 5 months, just shook out the rubber mats, but I spoiled the run by getting the car detailed last month.

Reply to
Ray O

My 87 was doing the same thing now it won't shift into od at all. changed the fluid, checked all fuses, tested all connections and even replaced thermstat, the only connector i didn't check was at the ect computer. For the life of me i just could not find it. anybody know exact location of ect? i tore the whole dash and i/p off. if i knew how big it was it may help in locating it. thnx

Reply to
rewstr2002

My 87 was doing the same thing now it won't shift into od at all. changed the fluid, checked all fuses, tested all connections and even replaced thermstat, the only connector i didn't check was at the ect computer. For the life of me i just could not find it. anybody know exact location of ect? i tore the whole dash and i/p off. if i knew how big it was it may help in locating it. thnx

********* When you push the OD off button, is there no change at all?

The ECT is either behind the passenger side kick panel or behind the glove box.

Did you check the shift solenoids?

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for all the input guys. As I have driven the truck more and more at 70 MPH, the transmission has loosened up. I think it may have been a little sticky because it is not driven at highway speeds often. It is my father in laws truck and he is 77 and does not drive much any more. He loaned it to me until I have time to fix my car....at 357,000 miles I am rebuilding the engine in my 1959 Lark VIII. 259cid with 3speed overdrive. Should be ready in about 6 weeks JIm in Republic of Texas

Reply to
8Njim