Re: Check Engine Light help request - 2003 RAV4

John W. Wells wrote in

>news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: > > >> >> From what I've been able to find out, Toyota used a (relatively >> inexpensive) O2 sensor prior to 1991, but went to the more costly A/F >> sensor after that (upstream from the CAT--I think the downstream one >> may still be an O2). > > > >The secondary sensor (after the cat) is _always_ an O2 sensor. > >Toyota began using A/F sensors in 1997, starting with the 1997 CA-market >4-cylinder Camry. By '02, only 4-banger Toyotas and a couple of V6's still >used O2 sensors for the primary. > >A/F sensors may be across-the-board now for the primary, but I'm not sure.

And to add to my confusion, when I picked up the car yesterday, the repair shop's receipt listed them as "O2 sensors." And both of the old parts are identical (Denso, Toyota OEM). The counter man said that A/F, O2, whatever--they're all called O2 sensors now! Wunnerful!

Thanks for your reply!

--John W. Wells

Reply to
John W. Wells

John W. Wells wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Maybe to him. But that's /very/ sloppy terminology. He probably just said that to cover up his own ignorance.

A/F sensors and O2 sensors operate in vastly different manners and are NOT interchangeable.

Reply to
Tegger