Re: Germany considers tax on the obese.

Irregardless?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Don't lose an argument by picking on grammar. Bow out with grace. If you would like to know the truth, Irregardless is legitimate, but not proper; regardless should be used instead. You can find both in the dictionary.

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

I can't lose an argument if I'm not part of it. And I don't care that the word is in dictionaries. It's wrong.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I thought so too, but I found out it is simply not "proper". If you weren't part of the discussion, why do you care about spelling and grammar anyway?

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Because illiteracy is a terrible thing. It moves from generation to generation and makes our country look stupid. Or more stupid. Don't you love it when something terrible happens, like the Virginia Tech shootings, and our elected slobs babble about heinous crimes, making "heinous" rhyme with "penis"?

Alls I want (as they say in a rural county to the east of here) is a glass of water.

She lives right acrost from my house.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

As I said, it is not proper, or in the words of Dictionary.com, it is non-standard. It is, however valid.

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Only if you're content with sounding like you spent your high school years doodling fighter jets in the margin of your notebook.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

"Or more stupid" is not a complete sentence.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

"Or more stupid" is not a complete sentence.

Michael

==========

You're correct. Mistakes are one thing. Defending illiteracy is something else entirely.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Well, apparently the person who posted it is content with whatever image was suggested. I think you suggested far worse about yourself than you did about somebody using the word "irregardless". Who really cares? People misspell, misuse, abuse and twist the English language when typing fast, thinking fast and writing informally. Why on Earth did you feel the need to comment on it; you weren't even part of the thread. I commented on you, because it is fun to make fun of a true fool ;-)

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

NOW THAT IS FUNNY! You are the one that used invalid grammar! The original person that you cared to comment on simply used a "non-standard", but acceptable word in its appropriate context. Now who looks stupid now?! I wouldn't answer that if I were you; fair warning. Go back to your auto group and be gone troll ... I am out of food.

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

In message , Thomas T. Veldhouse writes

The Oxford Dictionary of English says, irregardless is used, but means the same as regardless and the prefix "ir" is the equivalent of the suffix "less" making the "ir" redundant.

Reply to
Clive