Re: OT: Waking nightmare

> > Can you imagine Palin trying to handle this meeting? America dodged a b= ullet > > when she was eliminated. > > > > February 8, 2009 > > Biden Says U.S. Is Open to Deal With Russia on Missiles > > By HELENE COOPER and NICHOLAS KULISH > > MUNICH - The United States will pursue a missile defense plan that has > > angered the Kremlin, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. said Saturday, = but > > he also left open the possibility of compromise on the issue and struck= a > > more conciliatory tone than the Bush administration on relations betwee= n the > > countries. > > He just wants to be on television like FDR was when he announced the > bomb-drop on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

You really have to stop relying on far-right sources of information.

Hiroshima bomb drop: August 6, 1945 Nagasaki bomb drop: August 9, 1945 Franklin Roosevelt: January 30, 1882 =96 April 12, 1945

Speeches about strategic arms are highly planned and nuanced, right down to each comma, who presents them, and where and when they're presented, to give the intended impression to their intended recipients. For example, the fact that the closure of the American military base in Kyrgyzstan was announced by Kyrgystan's president while he was in Moscow indicates a closer relationship between Russia and Kyrgyzstan than if the president had said it in Kyrgyzstan with only the Russian ambassador present. In the case of the US, the fact that the Biden speech was made by Biden, rather than the secretary of state, also means something, anything from a turf battle between Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton, an intent by the US to seem more hawkish, to wanting the statement to not be taken as being official foreign policy (which the State Dept. normally handles).

> Although his language was tempered, Mr. Biden also said, "We will not a= gree > > with Russia on everything." > > > > "For example," he added, "the United States will not recognize Abkhazia= and > > South Ossetia as independent states. We will not - will not - recognize= any > > nation having a sphere of influence. It will remain our view that sover= eign > > states have the right to make their own decisions and choose their own > > alliances."

IOW Russia is free to do whatever it wants against Islamic radicals inside the old Soviet Union, and US operations in Afghanistan and Pakistan are not part of an American plan to build an empire that encroaches against Russia.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I remember that gaff of Biden's, Mr. Gaff. At least he gets some attention.

Reply to
dbu'

Think more seriously. Palin's comment about Putin's ugly head, for instance. That sounded like her true belief, not a gaff. Wars have begun over less, haven't they?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Actually, I'm not touting his merits. He's just average. Palin would've been far worse, if her "ugly head" comment was any indication. I think it was.

What do YOU think about that comment?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Semitics, Biden IS the VP, she is NOT.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Semitics indeed.

You're drunk again, Uncle Jemima.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How long be for President Obama gets tired of having to cover for Biden's off the cuff remarks? I noticed he spent 3 or 4 minutesd in his press conference last night trying to smooth over JB's latest gaff.

I still cna't figure out why Obama picked Biden. It is at least the worst choice since Agnew.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Since Agnew? Surely you haven't forgotten Dan Quayle?

Reply to
Lucius Accius

Qualye was basically harmless. The worst thing he did in four years was miss-spell Potato. Agnew was a criminal. Biden is a loose cannon. He routinely sticks his foot in his mouth.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White