Re: (OT:) Why in the name of GOD (or whatever) are we rebuilding New Orleans?!?!

> Why are they rebuilding only a sunken city.

> > Tradition. Culture. Emotional ties. > > Neitherlands is different. >> The whole country is at or below sea level. > > So, apply their engineering know-how to a much smaller area. Instead of > messing around w/half-assed solutions which aren't solutions.

Seriously. If they do it with a country almost completely below sea level, a city should be a cake walk.

Reply to
witfal

Why put the price of building a new city above sea level into one which is below sea level? If the Dutch had the choice I'd bet they would rebuild above.

Reply to
dbu`

I think that's been the point of this whole thread, dbu.

Reply to
witfal

I have other things that divert my attention so I may at times not be completely up to date on the latest.

Reply to
dbu`

Bong hits for breakfast?

Reply to
Hachiroku

We just so happen to have a Bong Recreational Facility over the line in Wisconsin. Exit 340 on I-94.

Actually it's named for Dick Bong, a famous WW2 flyer from Wisconsin.

Charles of Schauimburg

Reply to
n5hsr

We could start an entire thread just on this...

Reply to
Hachiroku

That originally was going to be Bong AFB, but it was derailed before it was completed.

Reply to
dbu`

It's happening before your very eyes, :)

Reply to
dbu`

You think it's cheap to do that? They have no choice. If you have the choice, it's a lot smarter to simply build on higher ground.

Even when it's in a hurricane zone?

Reply to
dizzy

Yes I know, but just seeing that sign, "Bong Recreational Area" on I-94 is enough to get the entire carload giggling. . . I wonder how many times that sign's been stolen?

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr