Safe way to clean outside of Avalon engine?

All: I have a 1998 Toyota Avalon with a v6 engine; and, I want to safely clean the outside of the engine. I first will use Gunk and let it set for awhile; then, I will wash it away with water. With my former car, a 1988 Toyota Camry, I had to keep the engine on to make sure that the engine would turn over properly. Do I have to do the same thing with the Avalon? If so, is there a safe way to clean the outside of the engine without getting any cleaner or water in the engine? Thank you.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Lee

Why do you feel the need to clean the engine?

That's only inviting trouble.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Keep water away from the air inlet, ignition coils, and ignition wires. Use only mist to rinse.

Reply to
Ray O

Keith Lee wrote: :

I was told to keep the water spray so gentle that it can't pierce a hole in toilet paper (not paper towels, which are much tougher).

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I've been blasting all my engines with high pressure water for years. This includes lots of old American cars and trucks as well as a number of Toyotas. Sometimes I spray on some gunk first (cold engine). The electrics and electronics on a Toyota are pretty well protected so just try and avoid hitting them directly and you'll be fine. And Elmo, like the mountain, because it's there! Good luck. jor

Reply to
jor

Why use a harsh engine degreaser. The last time I looked at the instructions for that stuff it said it may damage things like plastic. And you really don't even want to even get anything that you don't have to wet in the first place.

I use Simple Green in one of those garden type tanks. (with a pump and spray wand) That stuff works great and the wand lets me get the cleaner were it needs to be and no place else. Same for rinsing. Keeps my engines looking squeaky clean.

Reply to
Danny G.

Simple Green is pretty versatile stuff. I also use it in the interior to clean upholstery, carpet, dashboard, etc.

Reply to
Ray O