Synthetic Oil change intervals?

hi all,

i've using Mobil 1 almost exclusively, in my 2003 Avalon, and i'm happy with it

but i only have 16,000 miles on it

if i go more than a year without an oil change, say 1 1/2 years - how serious is this?

thanks waterboy

Reply to
WaterBoy

Yer kidding, right?

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL!!!

Reply to
user

Man, I get nervous after 6 months! I changed the oil in the Scion in October or November and then parked it. I'm approaching the 6 months now. But I think I'm also approaching 4,500 miles, too (Extended the interval because I'm using Synthetic, and pretty much only drive the car >10 miles at a time, and usually highway...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

You are saving little, if anything by stretching the oil change interval to

18 months. Stick to 1 year max, even with low miles.
Reply to
Ray O

Good thing this isn't a Sludge engine!

Reply to
Hachiroku

It depends on how you drive it. If you make mostly long trips, changing it every 1 1/2 years is fine. If you make mostly short trips, you may need to change the oil more frequently, like every six months. Water and fuel build of in oil if the oil doesn't get hot.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The only way to know if you need an oil change is by having the current oil analyzed chemically, but that costs almost as much as an oil change. Mobil recommends changing synthetic oil at the longest time and mileage interval allowed by the auto maker, probably 6-12 months or 7500-12000 miles. I also go by the smell test - if oil on the dip stick smells like gasoline, I change the oil.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

I have been using Mobil 1 yellow cap 5w 30 in my `02 Camry-4 since new. This yellow cap gauranteed to be valid for 15,000 MILES. AS OPPOSED TO GREY CAP WHICH IS RATED AT 5000 miles.

However I change my oil evry 5000 miles even using the yellow cap because my driving is "severe service'(mostly city with some highway.

Reply to
mred