transmission light is wrong

Hello,

Something strange happened to my 1997 Camry, 4 cylinders: When I shift to Drive, the dashboard light for Neutral get lit, instead of the light for Drive. Check Engine light is also on. What may be the problem? Thanks.

T.I.

Reply to
Talal Itani

The neutral safety switch tells the computer whether the transmission is in neutral or park. It does not tell the computer what gear is selected.

Reply to
Ray O

The OP's car uses a pattern select switch in the shift console to tell the ECM where the shift lever is and what range is selected. I would suspect that the switch is damaged or faulty, and yes, pulling the codes that illuminated the check engine light is a good place to start.

Reply to
Ray O