Transmission will not shift from Park

My '93 Corolla was working fine, I parked and when I came back it started fine but you cannot shift the selector out of park. Any tips?

Reply to
steve evans

There is a solonoid that near the gear shift that allows the car to go into gear. This gear shift is activated by a switch that is closed by stepping on the brakes. Either the switch or the solonoid may be bad. One thing you can do is make sure your brake lights work.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It is possible that the brake light switch is not working properly or out of adjustment. Make sure that the floor mats are not keeping the brake pedal from being depressed fully.

In the meantime, look at the shift console for a small rectangle cover. Pop the cover off with a screwdriver and push the tip of the screwdriver into the opening to shift out of park.

Reply to
Ray O

You didn't park on a hill did you? Tension on the pin that locks the transmission to keep the car from rolling might be preventing it from disengaging.

Reply to
Retired VIP