Turn oof Maint Reqd?

Aloha all. I have a 2006 Scion xA (no Scion NG). I change my own oil. However, the Maint Reqd light comes on and stays on when the car decides it wants an oil change. Anyone know how to turn the light off? Thanks!

Reply to
LMO

The instructions are in your manual.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

The owner's manual knows how.

Have you ever read it? Or did you just shove it somewhere and forget about it, figuring what the hell, who needs an owner's manual?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"LMO" opin'd thus:

ALL of us Scion owners know that -- at least, those of us who read our owner's manual . . . .

Reply to
Don Fearn

Take a few hours this weekend, go out and sit in the car in a shady spot, and read the Owners Manual at least once all the way through. You'll be amazed at the wealth of information contained in that little book that you didn't know you needed to know till you learned it.

The answers to all the simple questions are in that book. The difference between a steady and flashing Check Engine Light (that one is very important), how to check the fluid levels and belts/hoses under the hood every week and what to look for, setting the clock, optional modes for the alarms or central door locking, how the security codes on the radio work, where all the fuses are...

And of course how to reset that Maintenance Required light after you've changed the oil.

If you plan to do your own car repairs and need to ask more complex questions, go get the Factory Service Manual(s) for your car - sometimes there's separate books for powertrain and body. They are very expensive, but reliable information is worth it.

(The consumer aftermarket repair books from Chilton or Haynes are crud by comparison, don't even bother. They're as often wrong as right, and if you don't have the car repair experience to tell the difference they can get you into very big trouble.)

"Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime."

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

It's amazing the insight one can gather when he sits down to RTFM. I found this out when I first had my Avalon. The windshield wipers seemed to park rather high up on the glass, when they should have been almost concealed by the slot at the rear of the hood. I almost got out the wrenches to make the necessary changes when something told me to read the book. Yep, it comes out that there are TWO park positions for the wipers. One is low and the other is as my wipers were, a few inches higher. I found that it's for keeping the wipers up top in case of snow and sleet which could keep them trapped in the slot. The book told me to grasp a wiper firmly and push downward, parallel to the windshield, and sure enough, there was a *thunk* and the wipers assumed their lower position like magic. Ta-Daaaa!

Reply to
mack

Do NOT Post Binaries in a Non Binary Newsgroup. The administrators get really annoyed about that.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Yes, I have read the manual, but didn't memorize it. Yours was the only reply that actually helped. Many thanks!

Reply to
LMO

You don't necessarily have to memorize it. You just have to look again.

*rolls eyes*
Reply to
High Tech Misfit

LOL, what administrators exactly? :-) Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Point taken. Well, in Earthlink's case, they are the ones who want to declare Usenet as totally useless and finally find a decent excuse to discontinue it altogether. And "Wasting expensive bandwidth on stealth binaries" is as good a lame excuse as any.

They haven't done anything positive on the "support" front for several years, ever since they ran off Avleen Vig. You might not like the answers he gave, but at least you got some answers.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

LOL.....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

The best answer to Earthlink....is to leave.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

"Scott in Florida" ...

Actually, I am using earthlink for this and I saw the binary in this 'non-binary' group. I suppose my position here is that binary groups are in name only, and any binary posted in any group _that I get_ will be seen by me, and that is fine by me. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Agreed, this is 2007 and there is both sufficient bandwidth and cheap storage capacity to handle binaries in ANY ng.

Reply to
sharx35

The problem is not in reading them, but in sending them. You did nothing wrong, Tomes, it was Mr. " :P " that posted the file.

History Lesson time...

Usenet has been around since the 60's, long before Al Gore invented Webpages - when the Internet was text-only, and only available to the scientific and educational communities. Back when even the mainframes were restricted to cross-country dial-up connections to transfer mail and messages, and they rationed bandwidth rather tightly - any unnecessary waste would get you in trouble, or even get your account cancelled.

Usenet is old enough for those traditions and "Netiquette" to be forgotten by the newer generations of users.

Even though the post was On Topic and relevant, it was also roughly

112 KB in a text group - nowadays that's nothing, but on 300-baud or 1200-baud dial-up you would have chewed up a lot of long-distance phone call time passing the message across the country in several hops, and the people who paid all those phone bills would be peeved.

You are supposed to post files like that in a binaries group and point everyone over there to get it - in the old days they segregated that traffic, and instead of being passed along on the expensive dial-up connection it took the slow boat - "Snail Net" - they got recorded onto open-reel magnetic tape, perforated paper tape or punchcards and mailed to the destination.

Nowadays, they want binaries segregated so they can decide how much bandwidth and disk space they want to dedicate to text groups versus binaries groups.

Where the real crime is, is at the Earthlink HQ - when people do post binaries in the correct newsgroups for them, the odds of all the parts being received complete, and soon enough to download them before the first parts start expiring and vanishing, is rather slim...

And yet, they waste hundreds of Gigabytes a day of bandwidth and several Terabytes of hard drive space receiving and filing away those incomplete parts and pieces of files that nobody can make use of.

I haven't seen a complete large binary (that isn't Spam) in months.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Good explanation. I am thinking that earthlink (and likely others) just has enough memory that they just don't care, and that they want to push the dialups towards higher speed that they sell anyway. It is likely cost efficient for them to just let it all go. Not saying right or wrong, just how it seems to be. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes