two questions 02 Avalon- wipers and security system

Just got an 02 Avalon XL

  1. Wipers: owners manual suggests that the wipers have 2 rest positions. Down below the cowl, and raised up for cleaning or in case of snow. Mine seem to be in the 'up' position. They suggest the wipers can be pushed down. Can I push these down? How much pressure should I use? When they are on, they work correctly, and rise to be proper position. they just don't go down enough

Is the down position feature only available in the XLS?

  1. Dashboard security light. The red security light does not go on. Is this a feature only with the key with the chip, or should I see this light going on? Is the security system working in my vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
pm

I have an '03 Avalon XLS, and when I bought it used, the same thing was evident. I even tried taking off the mounting bolts from the wipers to try and reposition them, but (luckily) couldn't get the bolts off. Then I read the manual and found the two position gimmick. So taking a deep breath (and preparing to break the things) I shoved the wiper blade bracket on the passenger side downward - parallel to the angle of the windshield., and LO, the wipers moved down (on both sides) with a slight thunk, and all was well. I can't speak for whether the XL is different, since as I say, I have an XLS, but I don't think there would be much point to having no such option on the XL - having to manufacture two different wiper systems for such a minor feature would be counterproductive for Toyota I would think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Since my security light blinks every few seconds with the key off, I can't answer this one.

If you want to see whether the system works, roll your driver's window down, take out the key and exit the car, and lock the doors with the remote. Then reach in the open window and flip the driver's door lock back to the unlocked position, and if all hell breaks loose, with the lights flashing and horn honking....it works. (possibly just the LCD light on the dash is not working for some reason). When you do the above, the car's security system will think your driver's side window has been broken and someone is reaching in to unlock the car.

As for the windshield wipers, be bold and shove the thick part of the bracket down, you won't break it, and it will assume the lower position you want.

Reply to
mack