E30 power windows wiring

I fitted power windows to my '87 E30 from a wrecked car. I followed wiring diagram I have, and now I can only open or close the windows while ignition is on.

I added fuse #17, but there is +12V (from the unloader relay K5) only when ignition is ON.

Is this how it is suppose to be? It seems wrong that way to me. I should be able to operate windows with the key in first position (when in-dash clock light turns on).

P.S. My key has four positions, O (Off), I (On), II (Run), and III (Start). Windows will go up and down only in II (Run).

Reply to
Yvan

Nope, ignition on, they pull a lot of current.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Actually, electric windows on an E30 *do* come on with the front doors open (and ignition off). I think your problem is there should be a wire from the starter to somewhere behind the glovebox (I think) but I can't remember where to......

Reply to
Pete M

This will probably help, E30 wiring diagrams (Menu in Russian, but the drop down bits are self-explanatory..

Pete M

Nedavno Pete M napisa:

I do not see how... I checked here:

And what should that wire "from the starter to somewhere behind the glovebox" do?

Wiring diagrams I used were downloaded long time ago from there.

Reply to
Yvan

I think that is what fires up the windows when the ignition is on, when you have the doors open the windows work whether the ignition is on or off. Go onto e30zone.net and have a look through brianmoooore's posts. He's the best at E30 electrics there is..

Reply to
Pete M

Nedavno Pete M napisa:

I will, thank you.