water pump change on Corolla 1.6 '90 , 4A-FE, AE92

Hi!

I have an old, but nice Corolla. Lately i've been hearing a grinding noice from the motor area and have localized it to the waterpump. The pump is also leaking badly. I guess that some bearings and seals in the pump is broken.

So I went to the local spare parts store and purchased a brand new water pump.

But the problem is that I can't really get a good grip on the water pump pulley bolts with my tools since the distance between the pulley and the chassi is to small.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can remove the bolts without putting in to much effort?

Best regards Rickard

Reply to
barrud

Hopefully, you are not trying to do the job with an adjustable wrench or pliers because there is a pretty good change that you will round off the bolt heads. I would imagine that a combination wrench or a ratchet with a shallow socket and universal joint would do the job. You can try removing the wheel and access the water pump through the wheel opening.

Reply to
Ray O

Thank Ray O for the reply,

I have a pretty good ratchet that I alwas used when repairing my car. but the sockets aren't shallow enough. So I bought a cheap combination wrench kit, but still find it difficult to get such a good grip that the risk of rounding off the bolts is small.

I will try to remove a wheel and see if that will help me in my quest.

/Rickard

Ray O skrev:

Reply to
kaabdalis

more tools! if you have a harbor freight near you, you can pick up all sorts of metric wrenches - closed-end, angled, s-shaped (obstruction), stubby

Reply to
mike

Finished!!

(I borrowed some tools that would fit)

I took me about 5hours or so. I had to remove the right engine support and hoist the engine up 3-4 cm. In this position i managed to unbolt the pulley. I had to use a crowbar and bend a little bit to withdraw the pulley.

After this i had to remove the upper and middle timebelt cover to gain access to the bolts securing the waterpump.

Thanks for your effort!

Rickard

Ray O skrev:

Reply to
kaabdalis

Another type of wrench that may make access easier is a crow foot wrench. Basically, it is the end of an open-end wrench with a square hole for a ratchet. You may be able to purchase just the size you need, like 12mm, at a hardware store.

Reply to
Ray O

You're welcome, although it sounds like most of the effort was on your part, not mine.

Congratulations on tackling and fixing the car yourself!

Reply to
Ray O

Just did that. Get yourself an offset 10mm box end wrench. Working from the top or the bottom is your own preference. Tighten your belts good and have a friend hold one of the other accessories still with a big rag. Losen the one across the other side of the pulley so the wrench has less leverage on it and your friend will be able to hold it easier. Good luck,

-Kevin

Reply to
seabrightskiff

This is almost excactly what i did , Thankx

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com skrev:

Reply to
kaabdalis