When is it worth purchasing an extended warranty on a used vehicle?

Hey Art, I am "sort of" thinking of it also - we've an 05 Avalon (21k) and

08 Highlander (10k) - extended Toyota Platinum from Keith at Midwestmotors (7/75) is 619 for Avalon and 559 for the Highlander, under 1200 for both. Either Toys are better or Honda after your shorthairs. My reasoning on even considering it is that I am damned near 70 and just don't want to worry and 300/year is pretty cheap for minimal worries. I hope Ray agrees at these prices! By the way, thanks to Fed, CD's and money markets are maybe 3.6 here in Ca. So the 1200 would earn me maybe 200 bucks for the 4 years extension (well maybe 50 more for the Highlander 2 years)! Ron in Ca.

Reply to
ron

Make sure it is a factory warranty in any case. 3rd parties could be out of business when you need them.

Reply to
Art

They wouldn't sell cars if they didn't make money on them........

Reply to
Art

I generally don't buy extended warranty but I bought a 4 year old 4 door civic (2002) that had been returned from a 4 year lease. Dealer offered an extra 1 year warranty making a total 6 years covered. I paid $500 for the warranty. In the End, Honda changed the automatic transmission twice, and 3 suspension components parts that were worth around $300 excluding labour. In my case, $500 was definitely worth it as everything happened to me around

3-4 months after the standard 5 year warranty was over.
Reply to
Frank

With Hondas, you did the wise thing.

Reply to