Where's Nick T when ya need him (Technical Question...)

OK, I have my '85 Celica GTS, 22RE 2.4L SOHC engine.

tC has 2.4L DOHC engine Taco has 2.7L DOHC engine.

Can either of these heads be fitted to my '91 22RE?

Reply to
hachiroku

Get a HG for both and see what lines up..... Why would you want to swap heads though? How about checking the crank and swapping in the 2.7 making it a 2.7L stroker? Of course you may have to grind some of the block away for the crank.

I think it will be too much work and not worth it to go from a SOHC to DOHC...Plus you only have 1 cam to regrind if you want performance & less rotating mass.

Reply to
Josh

More thoughts on this, you'll need the Harness, ECU or stand alone, manifolds, TB, sensors and probably a few other things to get it running right. What are you really after here? Do you need a new head? Performance?

Reply to
Josh

2.7 won't fit. I'm somewhat mechanically declined, and aside from having to fabricate motor mounts, etc, and rewiring, the headswap is the easiest way to get some cheap performance. The 2.7's are fairly readily available in the junkyards, and we're taling a 20 YO car that's starting to rust at an alarming rate.
Reply to
hachiroku

No, the engine's fine. I figure about a 15-25HP boost from a DOHC for cheap $$$ and an afternoon in the backyard. THe engine was rated for 155HP (91 truck w/proper ECU, etc) the Celica beathes better but I'm using the '85 ECU, so I probably gained about 5 HP over stock (there is a noticeable difference) so if an easy-breathing head can get me 10 more or so, that puts me to 155-170; just fine for this car.

Reply to
hachiroku

If you think you can do it, and you have all the parts and $ then go for it. Might as well P&P the new head while it's off.

Reply to
Josh

How do you know the 2.7L Crank wont fit your block?

Reply to
Josh

I dont. I was talking about replacing the engine. The 2.7L won't fit handily.

Reply to
hachiroku

Yeah I thought so, I was talking about making a Stroker Motor.

Reply to
Josh