Which better choice-Avalon (used) or Lexus ES300.

Looking for luxury Toyota, maybe 5 or 6 years old. Is the Lexus ES300 a better deal than the Avalon? They seem the same price range in my area but I just need some input on the differences in terms of quality, reliablility, and cost of ownership perhaps. Thanks to any experts out there!

Richard D

Reply to
boxingnut

The Lexus will have a better paint job(two extra coats usually)... better suspension, and maybe better interior quality... everything else is really of the same quality and reliability...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Except isn't the Lexus ES300 more an upgraded Camry than an Avalon (post year 2000, that is), and therefore smaller?

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Right, the Avalon is larger and it doesnt share a platform with anything else Toyota sells in the U.S. market.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Pre-2000, Avalons used an older Camry chassis. But they are still bigger than Camrys of the same model years.

Reply to
ixat

How could anyone in a NG know the difference between two used vehicle that happen to be in your area? How can anybody know anything about any particular used vehicle? When one buys used they can never know for sure how it was used or abused or if it was serviced properly or not.

Do yourself a favor and go price a new car that suits your budget.. When you buy new you can often get a car for around the same monthly payment as a used car. New cars can be finance for much longer period and at a much lower interest rate.

mike hunt

box>

Reply to
DustyRhoades

Three weeks ago I looked at several used Avalons, mostly 1998 for around $7500 and all had around 100,000 miles but well maintained and looked very nice, drove nicely, blah blah blah. (then I looked at several 2003 & 2004 Camrys with around 30,000 miles priced around $15,000). However, on the Avalon to get another 100,000 miles in about 7 years I figured it would cost me between $500 and $1000 per year for repairs. Lets say a total of $5000 for 7 years. That means my ownership cost would be $7500 + $5000 - $2500 (used sale est)= $10,000 or 10 cents per mile. If I'm lucky it'll be less and could be higher but I will always be anticipating something going wrong. So after that I drove about 20 different brand new cars and settled on a Camary LE 4 cyl. 5spd AT with power windows, mirrors, locks, and drivers seat along with cruise control. I bought it over the Internet which was a totally different expereince from being hassled by idiot salesmen and their managers. I got the car for $18165 out the door with a 3 year 36000 mile warranty. If I drive this car for 2 years and put on 30,000 miles and sell if for $15,000 my ownership cost will be $18165 - $15,000 = $3165, or $3165/30,000 = 10.6 cents per mile. I didn't put sales tax in because Toyota gives you a $500.00 coupon for your next new car. With this car I don't have to wait for something to break and if it does it's on Toyota. Going from Tulsa to Dallas I got 28.8 mpg because I got caught in a traffic jam but the return was good and I got 40.8 mpg at 75 to 80 mph with the AC on. The only complaints I have after about 1300 miles is the outside temp gauge reads a bout 3 degrees too high and the odometer reads nearly 3% high. BTW my wife likes the dressed down new Camry much better than a 98 Avalon XLS with all its bells and whistles.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

My quick answer: the Avalon is made in America only, the ES300 is made in Japan only (and sold there as a Corona EXIV or MkII. Remember that?)

You may draw your own conclusion from that...

Reply to
Hachiroku

If your new Camry seats are ANYWHERE near as comfortable as an Avalon's seat (try a trip for over an hour in both), I'll eat a steering wheel. I know - I've got both a 2004 Camry LE (leather) and a 2002 Avalon LXS (leather). The Camry seats feel lumpy in the wrong places when compared to the Avalon. And, what do you do most in a car? (Hint: it has to do with the seat of your pants.) Don't get me wrong - I'd love the Camry if I could just put Avalon seats in it.

Reply to
Steve Henderson

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik