Yaris

I'm surprised they didnt outfit the Yaris with a 1.0 liter fuel injected engine. Imagine the MPG it could get?

Or is it just too heavy for that?

I heard something about the Smart Cars having a 1.0 liter fuel injected engine, with turbo too? How odd.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

It will be too slow for the tastes of American drivers.

Why is it odd? The turbo allows the engine to both generate more power while using less fuel than a bigger engine that generates the same amount of power.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The mileage figures that I've seen for the Smart Car are about the same as my Corolla and my Corolla has a back seat and a trunk.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

"Sarah Houston" kirjoitti viestissä:Xns9ABEEDB27CE9DSntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196.97.142...

It's matter of taste whether a car is too heavy for a certain engine. Here in Europe low consumption is more important than power, but in U.S.A. the consumption isn't that important -- or at least hasn't been :) (I've read that SUV's and other much-consuming vehicles are not selling well in the U.S. anymore).

Engine options for Yaris for example here in Finland are:

- 1.0-liter VVT-i

- 1.3-liter VVT-i

- 1.4-liter D-4D (diesel)

- 1.8-liter Dual VVT-i (in a special "sporty" model)

Fuel consumption for the 1-liter engine is 4.9 liters per 100 kilometers on highway (=48.00 mpg) and 6.4 liters in city (=36.75 mpg).

Here Yaris is always hatchback (buyer can choose 3-door or 5-door version), and transmission is either manual or MultiMode (mechanics controls manual transmission and clutch -- causing power to be completely missing during shifts).

Harsh reality in this world seems to be that what you can choose from depends on what majority of people around you buy. You'd be interested in Yaris with 1.0-liter engine but can't have it because majority wants something different. Some time ago I would have been interested in Corolla with 1.8-liter VVT-i engine and automatic transmission, but because of majority's taste, no automatic transmission is available here for Corolla and only available petrol engines for it are 1.4 and 1.6 liters. :(

P.V.

Reply to
P.V.

Known in Japan, IIRC, as the Vitz.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Do they really come with turbo though?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Wait until we get oil shale going for $1 a gallon gas.

Sarah Houston