A nasty surprise

Was giving the '96 Camry its 3000K oil and filter change and noticed the inside of the drivers front wheel was greasy,...uh oh,...split CV boot caught before too much happened in the way of damage.

The other telltale sign was grease sprayed around the inside of the mud-guard (fender).

CV boots are a PIA. The outer (wheel-end) boot has deeper folds to allow greater turning arc compared to the inners.

You'd think by now they'd have a synthetic that would last the life of the car....

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The newer cars seem to have boots that are formulated to last longer. I think 97+

Reply to
Rog

Anybody know a good dressing for the outside to PROLONG the life of these boots.

I once noticed (on another car not a Camry) that the boot that was oiled by oil dripping on it from a small engine oil leak seemd to last forever.

Since then I have been spraying White Lithum on the outside of the boots of my cars twice a year. I think this helps but I don't really know.

Anybody have any ideas about this. It is such a PIA to change them it is worthwhile to try to extend their life as much as possible.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

The newer ones 97 and up are much better than the old ones. They last me 100,000 miles. Cant ask any more than that for a piece of rubber doing what it has to do...You are using the genuine Toyota boots aren't you?

Reply to
ROBMURR

Silicone dielectric grease

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

My Camry is a 95 and the boots are original but showing signs of age.

Actually the rubber doesn't do much when the wheels are straight ahead, it just all spins on the axle.

When the wheels are turned, then the boot has to expand and compress as it turns.

And true, the axle is never completly straight, so there is some small expanding compressing going on all the time.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

My 95 Camry has had both of them changed already, including the driveshaft.

80k miles of city driving.
Reply to
Rog