1990: Seat belt doesn't catch when stopping

I just bought a 1990 Camry and noticed both the driver and passenger seat belts do not catch when stopping at all. The lap belt works fine.

I tested with a volt meter to the on board switch that says "Press to release belt" or something like that and it is getting some juice. But when I press on the break and pull the belt in a fast manner, it never catches like it's supposed to.

Any ideas?

DavidK

Reply to
DavidK

I'm assuming you are checking the switch that turns off the light on dash telling you seat belt isn't fastened. If the light goes out on dash when you fasten belt then all should be well with this.

While you could truly have a problem, remember you have to pull the belt's retractor really fast to get it to lock up. Some models are more sensetive to motion than others. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I've pulled so hard so many times that it must not be working and is very dangerous. I've read in other postings that it could be a fuse?

Reply to
DavidK

You may be correct in fuse causing light to stay on but the lock-up is caused by a mechanical device - an inertia switch in the tensioner assembly. But, if you have voltage at one of the contacts on the seat belt connector then I don't think it's the fuse. I'm not doubting you, but it's not how hard you pull but how fast. The inertia switch in the tensioner is triggered by exceptional speed that is caused by sudden stopping of vehicle and object being restrained experiencing the Newton's law that states a body in motion will stay in motion. :-) The tensioner could be bad, dirty or possibly dry. If it's not a lot of work take the cover off the tensioner assy and do a visual to see if there is a foreign object or an accumulation of dirt or dust. Could save you having to purchase a new seat belt. One other thought is to take it to a dealer and ask to have the service manager to inspect the belt for you. I would expect my dealer to do this for free but I bought both my Toyotas there and have one of them serviced there. I would think a good dealer would still do this inspection for free. While there ask about recommended lubes, if any, and where to lube. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

The shoulder harness locks by inertia --- you should be able to yank it very quickly forward and it should lock. You could always take the plastic cover off and see if it is cloughed up with dust and stuff over 15 years. It doesn't work by electricy or anything to do with the brakes.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I have a 97 Camry. Just before 60K miles, my seat belt would not retract and keep pressure against my shoulder. It was slack. Turned out that this was covered under warranty. And, there was a recall on this.

Seat belts are very important. I would spend the money and have this fixed. I remember an old advertisement for seat belts once.

Imagine you were sprinting at full speed down a sidewalk. Then, you swerved and rammed a telephone pole with your head. It still would not be close to the impact that your head would hit the windshield in a 30 mph crash!

Reply to
condor_222

Thanks for your reply. I do have to clearify somethings I did say. When I said I pulled hard, I meant fast, very fast and it happens to both driver and passenger sides.

Also, there is no light on the dash board since the belts are passive restraint. The contact I tested was a little light/indicator that is located next to the emergency brake between the two front seats.

I was able to look at the mechnical assembly but all looked okay but was not able to fully remove.

I'll take your advise and look for built up dirt and such when I get a sunny weekend and figure out all the nuts and bolt to remove the complete assembly.

David

davidj92 wrote:

is

fuse?