93 Camry 4cyl Starting Problem

Car normally runs fine. Then at any time it will crank but not fire. This happens at intervlas of perhaps one month at a time. If you leave the car for half an hour or so it will normally start again. Today it took 2 hours and a tow home to get it going again.

Any help please!

Cheers

Cambo

Reply to
cambo

Have you checked the basics: fuel pressure and secondary ignition? davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Does it happen when hemid or after a rain and after driven a bit, it could be the coil

Reply to
m Ransley

I had exactly the same symptoms with my 93 camry for a year or so until I traced it down. While your problem may have a more ordinary solution, you might check this out. When your car is running, I don't think that the engine check light is lit but despite this there MAY be an error code stored in the ECU from the no-start events. If you get the instructions on reading this error code (from searching this group, say) and the error code is 12 (No G or NE signal upon engine cranking) then you have my problem. I now believe it is caused by an intermittent poor contact in the plug/socket for these signals on the distributor body. To prove this in your case (this seems to work for me) next time the car wont start, turn off the ignition, open the bonnet and do nothing but give the plug/socket on the distributor a good shaking. Now try to start the car. If is does start then you have solved the problem. I have not fixed the problem. I just shake the connection when it wont start (about 1/year).

Good luck

Reply to
Nigel Wood

Thanks so much.. I suspect it would be something similar. I will check the error codes this week. Thanks

C.

Reply to
cambo