1995 Camry warm starting problems

We just bought our son a 95 Camry with 205K. Runs great except for problem when warm. When driving start and stop for a while and shuts off he is not able to start right away until car cools down for about 30 minutes. Low RPM and heats up once in while and goes back down. Had into dealer and no codes.. They replaced water temp sensor with no guarantees with no code. Still having problem. Any ideas on next step.

Reply to
DOCRULZ

My son is replacing the coil today to see if that will solve the problem. Yesterday he sprayed throttle body cleaner into the throttle body and into the ICH valve to clean it out. Same problem last night though. Trying coil today. Would appreciate any insite into this frustration as it only happens when driving and shutting car off and coming back to start quick. Never any problem with car dying or stalling out while normal driving.

Reply to
DOCRULZ

================== Looks like your exact same problem is covered here:

Daniel

Maybe pull your plugs before a warm start when you expect this to happen and check for a wet cylinder (ie. leaky injector).

davemc

Reply to
davemac

If it happens when it warms after the morning, id say its the coil or a loose distributor cap or no cap gasket. Usualy cleaning the coil works as oil may have contaminated it

Reply to
m Ransley

i changed the coil, the rotor and the distributor cap, the problem still exists. i cleaned the iac valve and the throttle body. the fuel filter is fine. the ect was replaced. im running out of options. i have had people tell me it is possible it is the fuel pump. could this be???

Reply to
DOCRULZ

==================== During an earlier post you mentioned replacing the "water temperature sensor." There are two sensors for water temperature. One sends information to the water temperature gauge in the instrument cluster, the other sensor sends information to the engine control computer (ECM). I believe the sensor you want to replace has a green plastic top located at the water outlet near the distributor. Is this the one you changed? Since the car starts fine cold, I would not expect a problem with the fuel pump but rather the engine not adjusting for warm starting temperatures. The factory service manual has detailed trouble shooting procedures, with step by step flow charts for different symptoms to isolate the defective component. Sound to me like the temperature sensor for the engine computer. If not, then check the factory service manual for more detailed diagnosis and repair procedures. See:

Daniel

i have checked the fuel system and it is perfectly fine..when i had my car in at school to run some tests my instructor said it could be vapor locking..do you think this could be? and if so is there anything that can be done to stop this? also they said maybe the efi relay?

Reply to
DOCRULZ

The water temp sensor that I replaced had the green cap. Checked the entire fuel system and O2 sensors with equipment and entire fuel system and sensors were in good working order. Auto tech teacher told him to try all the relays one by one. Any dealings with these?? He is at wits end as has replaced a lot of parts. No problem with cold starts at all or if car sits. HMMMMM..Got to be something simple I hope.

Reply to
DOCRULZ