2002 Camry wanders (alignment?)

I've seen several posts on this same topic and I'm becoming concerned. My 2002 4cyl XLE has been aligned by the dealer twice, and it's still not fixed. This second time seemed okay for the first couple miles, but by the time I got home I found myself pulling on the wheel again to keep it rolling straight. The printout said it was within spec when I left, according to the mechanic.

The car has about 20k miles and the Michelin tires that came with it. The problem is most noticable at highway speeds, where I have to keep tension on the steering wheel to keep it from drifting left, especially in the passing lane.

The service manager says "the least little bump can knock the alignment out." I'm certain my driving isn't the cause. I drove an Altima for years on the same roads and didn't need an alignment. I really hate having to go back because the dealership is clear 'cross town, and the conditions have to be right for it to occur consistently. Our roads in town are so badly rutted from heavy trucks, the car will follow the grooves and roll straight until you find smooth, even pavement. Then it wants to go left again.

I don't really have any questions. I gleaned enough from the other posts. One fellow's solution came from a tire replacement. One needed a new steering system. I just wanted to speak up about my problem. This seems to be a trend.

My VIN is a 4T.

-Cecil M.

Reply to
c3c

A bump doesnt knock it out, an open man hole or a ditch will. Tires is probably the problem.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

You may have "radial wander." This is a condition that I have encountered several times.

Simply switch the two front tires and see if it makes any difference.

WN

"If a man speaks in the middle of a forest and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?"

Reply to
Wayne55Dud